Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine and I took our bikes out in DE yesterday afteroon. We did around 80 miles, the temp was around 40F.

As I pulled out on to our main road, I did like I always do, and gave it some gas to get going in traffic. The next thing I knew, as I let off the gas, I felt a bump in the front end. It took me a second, then I realized it was the front wheel coming back down! :eek: I don't ever wheelie on purpose, and have put 1500 miles on the bike since it was new in July. Needless to say, it was a bit of a surprise. The only thing I can think of is maybe I snapped on the throttle instead of rolling on? :huh: I know cold increases HP, but I don't think it should have made that much of a difference :idunno:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
DUX said:
A buddy of mine and I took our bikes out in DE yesterday afteroon. We did around 80 miles, the temp was around 40F.

As I pulled out on to our main road, I did like I always do, and gave it some gas to get going in traffic. The next thing I knew, as I let off the gas, I felt a bump in the front end. It took me a second, then I realized it was the front wheel coming back down! :eek: I don't ever wheelie on purpose, and have put 1500 miles on the bike since it was new in July. Needless to say, it was a bit of a surprise. The only thing I can think of is maybe I snapped on the throttle instead of rolling on? :huh: I know cold increases HP, but I don't think it should have made that much of a difference :idunno:
Oh yeah if I crack it on the 1KRR rather than a roll on it either breaks lose or does the bear dance.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't I be a squid if I admitted that I liked it?

I do feel a whole new connection with the incredible riders and actors in "Biker Boyz" now. Maybe I'll have to go buy a copy :rotfl:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yep, that took some getting used to for me as well. Coming from a long line of 600's, you actually had to want them to come up for it to happen. These you have to try to keep down.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Heavy-Dee said:
Sounds oddly like my first ride on my 954. That thing would power wheelie very controlably. I miss it.

HD
My RC scared me the first time the front weel came skyward :eek

Then I got used to it. Once I changed the gearing the cycle returned. -1/+2 will do that to a twin I guess :evilaugh:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
slodsm said:
Yep, that took some getting used to for me as well. Coming from a long line of 600's, you actually had to want them to come up for it to happen. These you have to try to keep down.
the newer 600s have a little of the problem now too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
DUX said:
I know cold increases HP, but I don't think it should have made that much of a difference :idunno:
Try running some race fuel sometime. You almost have to lay across the tank at all times to keep the front wheel down.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hey DUX, look me up when the weather breaks (supposed to be in the mid-60's this week!). I'm only ~25 miles N of you (Middletown); we'll meet somewhere and ride up and down Route 9 or something. :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
My 929 has always seemed to respond rather dramatically to the cold. I get those extra little surprise power wheelies then too.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TAZ said:
Hey DUX, look me up when the weather breaks (supposed to be in the mid-60's this week!). I'm only ~25 miles N of you (Middletown); we'll meet somewhere and ride up and down Route 9 or something. :D

We don't need no stinkin' 60's. I did 80 miles on Friday at 40F, 20 miles Sun at 38F, and 21 miles today at around 45 :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts