Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the bike is relatively new, 2001 with 1015 miles. Got it with 360 miles a couple of weeks ago. While running on the freeway or anywhere I get good airflow the temp hoovers around 180 sometime 175 other times 185. However, when I get in town with stop and go the temp climbs to 210 to 220 before the fan kicks on. Is this normal?

The coolant siphon/overlfow has good level but still went through the pain in the arse fairing removal so I could gander into the radiator and it looks like it is 100% antifreeze. I believe that if it were 50% percent, it would cool better. I will not change anything until I hear from the experts. Being a relatively new bike, I would not suspect water pump or radiator problems but one never knows with a used bike.

Thanks,
Mavic

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MacMan : 100% antifreeze on the other hand....
I haven't used the gauge to confirm the concentration but it is a healthy dark green color.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Being an 01 bike, I myself would give it a flush job anyway to be sure. Its an easy task so why not? Also, make sure to use the right coolent..not an off the self brand for cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine always gets this hot on the way home from work.  People go 25mph on one road I take.  One time my temp got up to 225 while sitting at a light.  When I take off from a light it will get down to about 195 - 200 then climb right back up when I stop again.  When on the freeway the temp will get back down to the mid 180's to 190's.  FYI, the owner's manual says you'll get a warning at 251 so I wouldn't worry about the 220's.

Brad

edit: Oh yea, and my fan comes on like clockwork at 213 and will shut off around 209.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet!! That is what I wanted to hear. The R1's tend to run about 20 degrees cooler from what I can tell from my friends bike and thus the concern. I guess I will go back to sweating from the heat here in Austin.

Thanks,
Victor

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MacMan : Being an 01 bike, I myself would give it a flush job anyway to be sure. Its an easy task so why not? Also, make sure to use the right coolent..not an off the self brand for cars.
Any good techniques for the flush that you could pass along. Which lines to pull etc... and the recommended coolant concentration. It seemed to be a real pain to get to the radiator cap, IMO. Could have been so much easier with a trap door in the top of the air intake channel. OA,IMO.

Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
On my last ride, the ambient temp was around the mid 90's and while cruising in traffic @75mph the temp on my bike was around 195-199!

SS

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've changed mine a couple of times(03) and I just pulled the lower bolt(water pump) and the one in the block. Never pulled a hose. I use the honda pre-mix brand just to make it simple stupid. Still under warranty so using their stuff keeps the dogs off if something were to go wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
As has already been stated these temps sound normal. As far as your anti-freeze looks are concerned a normal 50/50 concentration still looks bright green, so as long as your temps are within the range described I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yup......my blade runs at about 180 on the freeway and will get up to about 220 before the fan comes on.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Yep, sounds normal to me. Listen to MacMan - just for peace of mind I would do a coolant change. Also, you cannot judge the dilution rate (if any) from eyeballing the
color saturation of the coolant.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys,
I knew I could count on you for the info. I am just not too familiar with this bike so I'm sure I will come across a few more newbie questions.

Thanks Again,
Mavic

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ive always said that if you really want to learn something, the only dumb question is the one you dont ask . . . you end up cursing that question for not asking it when something goes wrong.

. . . besides, i personally would rather look the fool and be safe with my ride than be look cool all the way up until the 'magic power smoke' gets let out . . .

·
Registered
339 Posts
sk1pper : . . . besides, i personally would rather look the fool and be safe with my ride than be look cool all the way up until the 'magic power smoke' gets let out . . .
I'd have to agree!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 954 2002 and the temps are the same as yours.However I did flush the system at both engine block and water pump and replaced with preston premixed,silicate free and deionized water.The temp is still the same.No change at all

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Mavic : Quote (MacMan @ June 07 2003, 10:56pm)Being an 01 bike, I myself would give it a flush job anyway to be sure. Its an easy task so why not? Also, make sure to use the right coolent..not an off the self brand for cars.
Any good techniques for the flush that you could pass along. Which lines to pull etc... and the recommended coolant  concentration. It seemed to be a real pain to get to the radiator cap, IMO. Could have been so much easier with a trap door in the top of the air intake channel. OA,IMO.

Thanks!
There are How To articles in the Knowledge Base section. There's a button at the top of the page that'll link you there.

There is an article for flushing coolant there. Here's the link.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts