Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Got a Used Set of Ohlins forks---a survivor of a track day waddage---more specifics after I take they for a spin 7/3-5
Later

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Interesting to find out how much difference they make to everyday riding, not just track stuff

·
Registered
148 Posts
ratter1 : Interesting to find out how much difference they make to everyday riding, not just track stuff
Sorry for the thread hijack, Conq, but...

I can say from experience that they make a very sweet difference on the street as well. I do most of my riding on the street, with an occasional track day.

Not only is the ride quality greatly improved, but they soak up bumps in the twisties that used to give me concern. I spend more time looking to the exit of turns and less time worring about what's going to happen when I go over various irregularities in the road while cranked over.

The bike feels extremely well planted and it's very confidence-inspiring.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Oz : Quote (ratter1 @ June 29 2003, 5:56pm)Interesting to find out how much difference they make to everyday riding, not just track stuff
Sorry for the thread hijack, Conq, but...

I can say from experience that they make a very sweet difference on the street as well.  I do most of my riding on the street, with an occasional track day.

Not only is the ride quality greatly improved, but they soak up bumps in the twisties that used to give me concern.  I spend more time looking to the exit of turns and less time worring about what's going to happen when I go over various irregularities in the road while cranked over.  

The bike feels extremely well planted and it's very confidence-inspiring.
thanks

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ConqSoft : You mean you aren't going to put them on the bird?
Maybe later Conq- Dan did such an awesome job revalving the birds stockers--dont really want to hassle it. I just installed them tonight--tomorrow a road test--thursday-sat serious testing at ThunderHill---yee haw---hopefully I wont suffer the fate of the previous owner

·
Registered
8 Posts
are these kevins forks?
heard he is getting a rc-51 to replace his.

hey.. thanks for the 'seat'.. you were gone by the time i got to your tent.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vnatchu : are these kevins forks?
heard he is getting a rc-51 to replace his.

hey.. thanks for the 'seat'.. you were gone by the time i got to your tent.
Yep and Yep---not sure if he bought it or NOT but it sure looked like he was headed that direction.

No worries about the 'seat' hold on to it for me though untill you get a real one

·
Registered
8 Posts
i saw the rc-51 at hare.. stock looking bike.
linda said he picked it up.

is he selling the rims too then? why don't you pick them up..
pvm forged Al i think.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Trackho : Quote (ConqSoft @ June 29 2003, 6:27pm)You mean you aren't going to put them on the bird?
Maybe later Conq- Dan did such an awesome job revalving the birds stockers--dont really want to hassle it. I just installed them tonight--tomorrow a road test--thursday-sat serious testing at ThunderHill---yee haw---hopefully I wont suffer the fate of the previous owner
Trackho, were the forks you were using prior revalved/resprung? Dan Kyle do them? I would be very anxious for your review of these forks if you directly compare them to Dan's fork work.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
booth23 : Quote (Trackho @ July 01 2003, 1:43am)Quote (ConqSoft @ June 29 2003, 6:27pm)You mean you aren't going to put them on the bird?
Trackho, were the forks you were using prior revalved/resprung?  Dan Kyle do them?  I would be very anxious for your review of these forks if you directly compare them to Dan's fork work.
Yes they were---Abtech did a the very same stock vs Dan Kyle vs Ohlins comparison on the 'old org' a ways back---but I will be happy to share my opinion-

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vnatchu : i saw the rc-51 at hare.. stock looking bike.
linda said he picked it up.

is he selling the rims too then? why don't you pick them up..
pvm forged Al i think.
Hes getting them X-rayed---the front is a PVM forged Ti, the rear is PVM forged Al, they are the old style and arent that much lighter than stock---so I will most likely pass

·
Registered
735 Posts
Trackho : Abtech did a the very same stock vs Dan Kyle vs Ohlins comparison on the 'old org' a ways back---but I will be happy to share my opinion-
Let me have at it on Saturday, Trackho.
I'll toss my opinion out about the forks.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Trackho : Hes getting them X-rayed---the front is a PVM forged Ti, the rear is PVM forged Al, they are the old style and arent that much lighter than stock---so I will most likely pass
Forged mag??

And yeah, I've 'heard things' about the earlier versions of the forged PVMs...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ccwilli3 : Quote (Trackho @ July 01 2003, 4:54pm)Hes getting them X-rayed---the front is a PVM forged Ti, the rear is PVM forged Al, they are the old style and arent that much lighter than stock---so I will most likely pass
Forged mag??

And yeah, I've 'heard things' about the earlier versions of the forged PVMs...
Oooops yep forged Mag, Ti might be kind of nasty---the new Y spoke PVMs are trick looking---but I think I would still jsut get the Marchesinis---my Buddy has the BlackStone CF on his 03 GSXR---probably try that out for kicks

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These forks are friggin awesome---a must do if you want to go fast on the track---the 04 is gonna get them out of the crate---front tire stays much more planted thru the bumps---more confidence/more speed---for street I would stick with Dans revalve---but if you really want to push it on the track---they are waaay bitchin

Later

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Racercutie,...well it is now Sunday.  What's your opinion?

Ratter1, yes, they are that good.

I voted with my bucks.  See avatar.  I've been riding for 37 years now, and I wish I could have had the Ohlins suspension a long time ago.  It is REALLY that good!  There is no way I can begin to explain how good they are in typed text form.

I may be biased, and yes, I'll be the first to admit it...but I think this is the single best mod anyone could do for a bike.  Just to let everyone know, I thought the stockers were outstanding!

BTW Cutie, I am certain that you know this, but anyone should be sure the forks are set up for their weight and riding style before coming to any conclusions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts