·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
who blips when riding and does it work?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
When I remember to do it I do :idunno: Haven't perfected it, but when I get it right, it makes downshifts much smoother, therefore it's probably easier on the clutch

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
I confess, I'm a blipper :idunno: . But mostly just 'cause I like the sound :cool: .

edit: bubba, you really dug deep for this post, didn't you :rotfl: "Blipping", bwhahahahaaa.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Yes - depending on how quickly I need to slow down and how aggressively I'm using the revs. I also avoid dumping the clutch during aggressive slowing and instead ease it out gently, thus avoiding the chirpies.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I blip the throttle virtually every time I downshift. Doesn't everyone, and if not, why not? :idunno:

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Yup, all the time when downshifting. It makes it smooth when you get it right. When I first learned to do it, it was such a rush to have the rpms go up and the bike just slow with no jerking.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I like the Pridmore technique better than the blip.... :nod:

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
You mean blipping while downshifting or blipping like a Harley rider who likes to annoy everyone at a stoplight? I blip to downshift all the time...do it by habit.

·
Registered
728 Posts
RaggedEdge said:
I blip the throttle virtually every time I downshift. Doesn't everyone, and if not, why not? :idunno:
I always blip the throttle when downshifting.

A bigger question is, who blips the throttle and downshifts while simultanously applying the brakes? That's what I'm talking about. :)

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
freq said:
well, enlighten us then. what is it?
Probably would be better if one of the "skilled" members would properly explain it... :crap:

I would describe it as a "blipless" blip.....matching the rpm with a subtle, precise throttle opening instead of blipping the revs and then catching up with the clutch. Pridmore has a drill to help you learn this as you are traveling down the main straight...while keeping your speed constant, downshift a gear, then up 2 and back down 2, repeat. With a bit of practice, you can get to where you can match the rpm exactly without blipping at all....then expand the drill to include braking....
If you take a 2-up ride with him, the downshifts are almost imperceptible....amazing.... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Only when riding aggressively. i.e. on the track.

It's not real productive on the street because I never get into the RPM range where it's required. I guess I'm also not that great at it because I have trouble doing it accurately at low RPM. I also have small hands so I can't blip and brake at the same time. Anyone do that? I've never been able to rotate my hand on the grip while at the same time maintain a smooth braking squeeze on the lever. One of the two ends up jerking.... :rant:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Practice, practice, practice, WetShrub. There's no other way to acquire that skill, and it's well worth having in your bag of tricks. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
WetShrub said:
Only when riding aggressively. i.e. on the track.

It's not real productive on the street because I never get into the RPM range where it's required. I guess I'm also not that great at it because I have trouble doing it accurately at low RPM. I also have small hands so I can't blip and brake at the same time. Anyone do that? I've never been able to rotate my hand on the grip while at the same time maintain a smooth braking squeeze on the lever. One of the two ends up jerking.... :rant:

I brake using the first 2 fingers on the brake lever and the other 2 are around the bar all the time, blipping with 4 fingers on the brake makes it a bit tricky for me, it's a much smoother transition from brake to power for me when I use 2 fingers on throttle and 2 on brake, I tried using 4 fingers again a while ago and it felt so unco...

if you've got small fingers then adjust the levers further in ;)

I've tried using 2 fingers on the clutch too, but I feel as though I'm going to hurt the gearbox so I don't bother with that anymore- it works well for fast starts going from 1st to 2nd where there's a possibility of the wheel coming off the ground though, gives you a more sure grip on the bars I find ;) :squid:

Cheers

Ben.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts