Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the Bird ready for a BRP/Skyline drive run July 19th thru 27th. The only schedule that I have to keep is being home for work on the 28th.

As you can see I have plenty of time for side trips off the parkway. I am starting the Parkway at the beginning, Cherokee NC, and ending (on Skyline Dr.) in Front Royal Va. The trip back home is wide open.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will be on the Bird with Givi's loaded down so the tourist mode will be in effect.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Would it sound bad if I told you to only do a little bit of Skyline? There are deer everywhere on that road and the speed limit is 35. Its strictly enforced too!

US33 and US211 that cross or intersect skyline are okay, lots of riders ride those roads...

I have done a lot of riding in that area, but never really found the 'off the way' roads north of waynesboro... Your best riding will be as you come through NC hands down IMHO... As you go north, the land does taper off some but its still nice. I just like the sharp elevation changes in NC the best... Around mt mitchell and grandfather mtn are cool. Jump off the BRP around linville and run 221 from linville into blowing rock, its awesome!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Also, though I have only ridden it once, I highly recommend US58 as you enter VA.

Take it west just north of Mt Airy towards damascus, independence and galax... The mtns there just go straight up! Lots of hairpins and the last time I was there (2001), the speed limit was 55, which is impossible! Its got some special name as it runs through there as well. I went to a ducati rally near there in 2001 and its the best riding I've ever done! (never been to the gap, etc...)

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great suggestions CC. I will try to work them all in.

I should have mentioned that I have made the BRP/Skyline run before. I have seen the 'Jane Doe' signs on Skyline and have witnessed the nonchalant attitude the deer have towards vehicles. Its kinda one of those start to finish things. The first year I did this run it rained on me EVERY day. Last year my trip was cut short by a worn rear tire (stupid).

I also have a nephew that lives in D.C. He wants me to come by and see him but places like D.C. are what I am trying to avoid. (Don't think he understands that though)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got back from that trip. We started in Lorton, VA. at the Amtrack Autotrain Station (I live in FL.) 66 west to Front Royal. Skyline Drive was great. Saw a few dear. Stayed at Peaks of Otter the first night. Second day was the best. The open sweeping, undulating road near Roanoke was awesome. One guy in the group had a close encounter of the dear kind. Needless to say he slowed down. Later in the day Park Police got three of us for 84 in a 45. He was cool and wrote the tickets for 71. Second night stayed at Mt. Pisgah.

The only side routes i know are Cherohala Skyway, Deals Gap(midweek only) and SR 28 between US 19 and Franklin, NC. I heard about some good ones at Mt. Pisgah but I dont recall their names.

I can't wait to do that trip again next year.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
RT 43 off the BRP isn't bad at all either, it has some real nice curves. Not always the smoothest, and there's debris here and there, but it's a beautiful road. It goes between rt 220 and 460 between Roanoke and Lynchburg in VA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts