Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Road Runner I have been slowly restoring and now have to start on the bodywork. How difficult is it? I was looking for someone who wanted to make some side $ but to no avail. Not too many body shops want to mess with older cars so I may have to do it myself. How difficult is it? Any good reading materials?​

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ND4SPD said:
Are you a perfectionist?
I think I know where you're going and for the most part yes. I'd like to buy quarter panels from Year one and weld them on...out of the question for a novice?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
No, but if you've never welded I would suggest doing a bunch of practicing with scraps before you go burning holes into your bodywork. Also, be sure to just tack stuff on at first and make sure it fits like it should/you want it to before you finish the welds.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. :thumb: I'll probably look for someone to do it. I have a cat in MD that's good but I'd hate trailering the car an hour or so away and leaving it there. :crap:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
If you are mechanically able and patient yes. It will take you much longer than a pro though.

Some tips (as if it was mine):
Any bare metal use etching primer before anything else
Filling primers are porous and absorb water, minimize the time that the car has only filling primer on it (negated for any primer over an etchant)
Bondo sucks you Kitty Hair or similar with Bondo as a finish coat (bondo is MUCH easier to work)
Consider a polyurethane if you are painting it yourself, while I love clearcoats it is less tolerant of a dirty environment.
Remember that the base is extremely important on appearance, finish coats enhance screwups in the base.
USE RESPIRATORS AND A SUIT WHEN PAINTING

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Be sure to read a repair manual when removing any body panels, theres some steps that you wouldnt dream of as far as some things that may have to be removed prior and theres always 1 bolt you cant find holding something on when your trying to force it off, the manuals show good pics of where everything is and how to get to it.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
rocket said:
I think I know where you're going and for the most part yes. I'd like to buy quarter panels from Year one and weld them on...out of the question for a novice?
Not out of the question, but there are a lot of pitfalls to hanging a quarter...especially on an old car that's done some "settling" .... :eek:
Replace the donuts everywhere before you cut the old one off...get the jambs perfect before you cut the old one off...yadda yadda... :twocents:

My serious advice...if you have any reservations at all...hang one on a piece of junk before doing it on this car...you'll see how it goes, and not do any harm to a valuable car in the process... :thumb:

BTW...cool car you have there... :nod:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Baketech said:
Not out of the question, but there are a lot of pitfalls to hanging a quarter...especially on an old car that's done some "settling" .... :eek:
Replace the donuts everywhere before you cut the old one off...get the jambs perfect before you cut the old one off...yadda yadda... :twocents:

My serious advice...if you have any reservations at all...hang one on a piece of junk before doing it on this car...you'll see how it goes, and not do any harm to a valuable car in the process... :thumb:

BTW...cool car you have there... :nod:
Bake ..dumb question...but what do you mean by donuts?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
The rubber biscuits where the body attaches to the frame. If they are shot, the body doesn't set properly, and can cause you to hang a panel in a bind...best to do them first, so you are dealing with a good baseline... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Baketech said:
The rubber biscuits where the body attaches to the frame. If they are shot, the body doesn't set properly, and can cause you to hang a panel in a bind...best to do them first, so you are dealing with a good baseline... :thumb:
Gotch, thanks!:thumb: These old cars are money pits...well worth it but money pits just the same.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I know what you are about to be going through - check out the link in my sig.

I feel pretty lucky on my project as my brother-in-law is a body man for a GM dealership. He's already volunteered his services for the major structural stuff that I have to do on my MG project.

One of the most important things to consider is your source for the body panels. You truly get what you pay for in this area. Cheap replacement panels don't line up and you will spend far more time making them fit versus spending a few extra bucks on OEM spec panels that should fit quite well, relatively speaking.

If you are going to do any welding yourself, buy a used MIG welder and practice, practice, practice before jumping onto your primary project. You can get beat up panels and scrap metal from a junkyard to practice your spots, tacks, rosettes, butts, laps and beads.

And they are money pits but the reward of driving it at the end is well worth the money and effort :thumb:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah, ditto what these guys said.

I've never personally done it, but I've been there watching people replace quarters...If you don't know what you're doing you'll push and pull the metal all to hell while you hang it.

If you must do it yourself, you need a good welder, grinder and lots of practice.

Not a job I'll ever try myself.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
After the ones I have hosed, I wouldn't do another one myself... :crap:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I think a sweet Mopar like that deserves the care and attention of an experienced professional. I've done a bit of bodywork myself, but only on shitboxes where a few flaws didn't matter too much. It was fun but I wouldn't attempt it on an actual collectible car. That's just me though.

·
Registered
700 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
I think a sweet Mopar like that deserves the care and attention of an experienced professional. I've done a bit of bodywork myself, but only on shitboxes where a few flaws didn't matter too much. It was fun but I wouldn't attempt it on an actual collectible car. That's just me though.
I think it depends on the end goal. If you're doing it as an investment, sure, take it to a professional restoration shop to build the value as a collectible. Then ship it off to Barrett-Jackson to find some sucker to pay through the nose.

However, if you are doing this as a personal project with no immediate intention to sell or get maximum ROI then there is a lot to be said for the personal satisfaction of doing the job yourself. Not to mention the learning experience - you have to start somewhere.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts