Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I bought my Tundra in early January with every intention of finally having a truck, I was looking forward to getting a trailer, going out of town on weekends for rides hours away, hauling the bikes to the track, etc. Well 6 months later I was tired of it. The truck was nice, but it's just not me. I felt guilty driving around a guzzler with nothing in the bed the majority of the time. I took it offroad once, in the snow to a friend's cabin, I hauled a new dresser to my girlfriend's place, and I toted a bed full of bike parts once, and that is it for 6 months. I really missed having a stick shift, and good gas mileage. Even though I only put 3700 miles on the pickemup in about 6 months, filling it up would just piss me off. $50 last time I filled up, averaging 14MPG due to the area, my commute pre me taking the bus, and rarely getting on the highway. I knew when I bought it that I wouldn't drive it that much, but I just got sick of it. I just can't drive one of them as a daily driver type of vehicle. I did my best though, I started taking the bus to work, which will continue since my co. pays for it, for now, started walking to the store, riding a bike for some trips etc. I knew buying it that I raped them on it, so I could get rid of it anytime without being under. I had made about $1500-2000 when I traded my last car in, so I didn't put a deposit (well I don't remember writing a check anyways) down, got a great interest rate, and got it for less than I really should have, so I knew I could get out of it if I wanted. I started researching cages, etc, new TL, wait for the new RL, get another RSX Type S, Accord 2 door coupe with V6 and 6spd tranny, take a chance on a RX8 (not a big rotary fan), or maybe a Sti WRX? Then I thought about my 1992 Civic Si that I previously owned, awesome mileage, handling, inexpensive to own/maint., decent acceleration rowing the gears, etc. I went last night just to look and drive and drove the phooker home, just couldn't turn it down. 2.9%APR, they paid my truck off, and I got the cage for $100 over invoice, payments a couple hundred less than my truck, and a buck fifty cheaper than my Type S. I took it around a couple of corners test driving and that was it. Small, relatively light, feels like a damn bike. I think what I missed most was having a Honda cage to drive, I guess I really do bleed Honda red :idunno: As cheap as this thing is, it'll put me in my future NSX that much faster (I was tempted to look at them again, but refuse to drive one as a daily). I still plan on buying an enclosed trailer when I can find a modded one used, and I can just rent a truck, cost effective, and get back to enjoying driving a cage when I have to. I still can't speed around here but at least I get to enjoy rowing the gears, I've learned one thing, I'll never buy another automatic transmission the rest of my life, I just like shifting gears too much. 30MPG :evilaugh:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Re: boot23 w/ Chain tendencies

booth23 said:
The truck was nice, but it's just not me. I felt guilty driving around a guzzler with nothing in the bed the majority of the time...
Especially considering the fact that a year ago you gave SUV owners an earful about driving gas-guzzlers. :nono: :poke:

Glad you enjoy it. We're getting ready to trade in my wife's Celica and we're looking to get another 5-speed to keep at least one manual transmission. I really enjoy driving one as well but when I bought my Accord V6 in '99, they didn't offer it in a manual transmission. :whine:

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

ER said:
Especially considering the fact that a year ago you gave SUV owners an earful about driving gas-guzzlers. :nono: :poke:

Glad you enjoy it. We're getting ready to trade in my wife's Celica and we're looking to get another 5-speed to keep at least one manual transmission. I really enjoy driving one as well but when I bought my Accord V6 in '99, they didn't offer it in a manual transmission. :whine:
Trust me Baketech got in a stab :smilebig: Hey that is why I sold it, I'm not going to suck up gas driving it as a commuter and grocery getter when I'm not using for what it's for most of the time, felt too guilty about it. And while I owned it, I was very conscious of the fact, and tried not use it all the time, I put very little mileage on it actually.

Yeah, until now they didn't, now Honda has the Accord Coupe w/V6 and 6Spd :evilaugh: It's bad.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

booth23 said:
Yeah, until now they didn't, now Honda has the Accord Coupe w/V6 and 6Spd :evilaugh: It's bad.
It sure is, but now I'm married and I have a wife who won't stop talking about having children, so we have to get a four-door (hence the consideration of the Mazda 6). I hearby authorize you -- along with everyone else on the site -- to fly to STL and kick my a$$ if I ever end up driving a minivan. A guy has to drawn the line somewhere...

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

ER said:
It sure is, but now I'm married and I have a wife who won't stop talking about having children, so we have to get a four-door (hence the consideration of the Mazda 6). I hearby authorize you -- along with everyone else on the site -- to fly to STL and kick my a$$ if I ever end up driving a minivan. A guy has to drawn the line somewhere...
I dunno, the Odyssey is kind of cool, great resale :evilaugh:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts

No the Odyssey is not kinda cool. :nono:

Good choice...just talking about this with my GF recently for myself (since I hate driving trucks too) only I use the bed all the time....dog/dirtbikes/camping....what to do?

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

luvtolean said:
No the Odyssey is not kinda cool. :nono:

Good choice...just talking about this with my GF recently for myself (since I hate driving trucks too) only I use the bed all the time....dog/dirtbikes/camping....what to do?
I've owned hatchbacks for years, drop the rear seats and you have hellaroom for whatever. I've picked up wood from Home depot, transported tires, rims at the same time, all the plastic on a bike, pretty damn versatile but with dirtbikes you become limited, you practically have to have a truck :rant:

ND4, please :rolleyes:
I will admit you can mod these types of cars up just like you do on bikes, let them breathe, gain power, but you can do it with a quiet exhaust, you don't need a fart can :smilebig:

I didn't look at any other Madzas besides the RX8. The most fun cage I owed was the 92 Si, it's an efficient vehicle, that is still loads of fun to drive. I thought about the minicooper for a bit, but I just like the Hondas man, what can I say :idunno:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Nice car! :thumb: Good on ya Booth...Congrats.

J

p.s.I'll be at Pacific next Thursday, coming over Wednesday afternoon/evening...let me know if your free...or relatively cheap :idunno:

J

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Congrats Booth, I'd say you have more of the SSG tendencies though...my Tundra lasted 3 months and I ditched it for the same reasons (bought it for the same too :D). Previoius to that (a few vehicles) was the GSr integra...then a Tacoma, which I almost traded for an RSX-s but was convinced I didnt like the Taco. because it was too small..so I went Tundra, which cured me of that...now Im in an 01 EX sedan (slushbox, boring, yeah..) but I knew I couldn't pressurize it easily or get a K20 swap for it cheap, and it gets ~32mpg no matter where my foot is :)

The funnier part is that a set of LX (14") steelies and some Dunlop graspic HS1's and this thing is better in the snow then my Tundra was, I kid you not :)

I just have a little 1-rail trailer for it but am looking into something Aluminum and larger. The ~130hp engine in the EX tows my ~360# trailer with ~300# bike like its not even there, nevermind the 150# in gear/water/tools sitting in the trunk or the 260# guy in the drivers seat. That Si shouldn't have annny problems moving that RR and/or RC around ;)

Congrats mang, the Si's are awesome little cars...I hear the DC wraparound/flowthru (aka - quiet longtube) exhausts are pretty decent. And do remember that the suspension in that (as well as hubs, knuckles, brakes, etc.) is right out of the RSX I do beleive.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
SomeStrangeGuy said:
Congrats Booth, I'd say you have more of the SSG tendencies though...my Tundra lasted 3 months and I ditched it...
Yeah!- what he said! My Chevy pickup is over three years old now, so there! :rasp:

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Eh? :huh:

I'm the first owner. I bought it new after a hail storm in Omaha, spring of 2001. The dealership did paintless dent repair on it as part of the deal. You'd never know it used to look like somebody shot a golf ball cannon at it a hundred times. I paid about $10K off the $32K sticker.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not made of money and have always bought my trucks and bikes at substantial discount by purchasing leftover (but still "new") models, hail sale units, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts