Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new pair or boots...something with great ankle support and protection. Anyone have the A/S Supertech...and does it provide greater ankle support than the SMX?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
ConqSoft said:
I almost posted this in your first (crash) thread but thought it to be a bit tacky.

This is the top of the line. Pricey, ~$800, but if it saves you from what happened, it's money well spent right?

A friend destroyed his ankle in a crash, and would not ride in another boot if it was free afterwards.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wanted a pair of Daytonas for awhile...but hard to find a place to try on a pair... :O

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Baketech said:
Wanted a pair of Daytonas for awhile...but hard to find a place to try on a pair... :O
It's not that long of a plane ride. ;)

They aren't the most comfy off the bike, but they're real nice on.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This pair I don't care about off the bike comfort too much...they will be track only...whereas my old pair did double duty.

I'm not sure any boot would have prevented my injury...but it may have reduced the damage a bit... :nod:

At $950 bones, a pair of Daytonas won't make it into my gear bag though... :crying:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I charged them and paid them off over time. I have enough joint problems as it is.;)

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My SMX boots show very little abrasion damage from the incident, as the primary damage to my foot came from torsion and flexion. I think if I had done this when the boots were new, there would have been substantially less injury, as the boots were much stiffer before they got "broken in"...

At any rate, they are still serviceable...but I want to replace them with something having more ankle support... :crap:

Edit:
Sidis don't fit my feet...I'm in between sizes...wife is just the opposite...:p

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Which SMX boots did you have Bake?

The SMX Supertech boots have an inner boot with ankle support, and go for much less than the Daytona's. I believe they are around $300.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I have the SMX Supertech. I like the support, but the zipper up the back of the leg SUCKS! I've blown the zipper on the left boot twice now. I really like the high end Teknic. I forget the model name, but they have two zippers up the front of the shell and a more full "bootie" on the inside w/ what looks like (as I haven't tried them on to know for sure) more support than the A*'s I have now.

Also, when I crashed at Grattan I tumbled a few times in the kitty litter and planted my foot once. I came out w/ a very light sprain. I still rode that day. I didn't walk well that night. Next day I was almost good as new. W/ a lesser boot I believe I would have broken my ankle.

HD

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Heavy-Dee said:
...I really like the high end Teknic. I forget the model name, but they have two zippers up the front of the shell and a more full "bootie" on the inside w/ what looks like (as I haven't tried them on to know for sure) more support than the A*'s I have now....

HD
You are speaking of the Teknic Speedstar boot.

http://teknicgear.com/catalog.php?styleid=1&pid=13

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Daytona makes a less expensive version of the Security. It's called the Evo Basic and is still pricey at $450 (it may have gone up as well). The only difference is the hard inner boot is machine made plastic instead of the hand-made carbon fiber that the Security has. If you fax a tracing of your foot to Helimot, they'll get you fitted.
A much less expensive option that offers nearly the same protection as the Daytonas is the Alpinestars Supertech. They also have the hinged hard inner boot. HondaGal has the Daytona Evo Basics and I have the Supertechs. Hers are more rigid and a bit more sturdy, but I think the Supertechs will protect nearly as well for a lot less money. I like the fact that they aren't as stiff, makes it easier to shift and stuff, at least for me.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Haven't tried the Daytonas, but I switched from the Alpinestars Supertechs to Sidi Vertigo Corsas and based on my "feel" I'd say the Vertigo's have equal or better ankle support with Supertechs. Also, the the "fit" adjustment mechanism in the Vertigos is far superior to any other race boot I have ever tested, almost ski boot level, (I have tested older Sidi Race Carbon, Supertechs naturally and Oxtar race boots) and IMHO having a good tight fit is very important when it comes to security.

I never got as good "feel" with the bike with Supertechs that I have with Sidis (before Supertechs I had Sidi Vert 2's) and Supertech's truly suck when it comes to putting them on and walking in the pits. The back zipper is a real pain in the ass.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn...the Supertech is not sounding like a great option... :rant:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts