Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this picture from the good ol' center of the USA......look at all the twisties, curves, mountains, hills, um....or at least the grass  

This is why we don't put many miles on the bikes here, and also why our tires seem to flat spot for some reason.

David

Not to mention, the 100 degree heat everyday. For some reason everyone likes to ride fast, in a straight line

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Cool pic Dave...

Reminds me of home....I'm from Emporia, KS.....

Good thing Heartland Park is nearby....eh?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I think I'd own a Busa.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Ever take 177 from Matfield Green to Council Grove?

Its an interesting road at speed.....

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
itsdesignateddave : This is why we don't put many miles on the bikes here, and also why our tires seem to flat spot for some reason.
You're gonna have to find some on/off highway ramps to put any wear on the sides of your tires.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
So what do you guys do, just constantly ride in continuous (back & forth swerving) tire warm-up mode so you get your money's worth out of the complete tire?

You MUST have some twisties around, no?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Y'know, this brings up a thought. (Scary, I know.)

Being a Midwestern sportbiker, I too suffer from a lack of abundant twisties (although a few PMs as of late would indicate that some of the roads I have available in western Iowa are indeed pretty nice). My point, however, is that my recent trip to the Smokies (Deal's Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, etc.) had a profound effect on me, nearly overwhelming in fact. I cannot fathom living in or near Knoxville or Asheville, TN for instance. Or heck, for that matter, in any number of the sportbike-Eden areas of California or other states that don't so readily come to mind.

Do you guys/gals who live in or near these meccas of serpentine blacktop ever get used to it!? I guess that's like asking if a guy would ever get used to sleeping with Salma Hayak or something, but still, I'm curious.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Used to it? Sure, but I travel enough to recognize how good it is.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Bacchus : Quote (Chain @ July 15 2003, 4:36pm)Do you guys/gals who live in or near these meccas of serpentine blacktop ever get used to it!?
Not sure exactly what your point is - elaborate, please, 'cause sometimes I'm just plain dense  
Bac, it's like the first time someone from a warm climate sees snow (there's a cop here from Cambodia - saw snow for the first time when he came here several years ago... and was in awe).

Or the first time you swim in the ocean and are almost paralyzed by the power, size and scope of it all.

Or perhaps the first time you see the Rockies in person.

I'm just asking if folks who live in great sportbiking areas (like parts of Cali or near Blue Ridge for instance) ever get immune to the wonder that is experiencing such a great place day after day, year after year.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Chain : Do you guys/gals who live in or near these meccas of serpentine blacktop ever get used to it!? I guess that's like asking if a guy would ever get used to sleeping with Salma Hayak or something, but still, I'm curious.
Can't speak for the rest but I never get used to it, just enjoy it every time I get to ride it. Do miss it when on travel to other states that is for sure.

Too many roads, too little time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, to answer your question, this isn't far from 177

It was on the way to cassoday, where us midwesterners go on 'trips' to hoping to find one good street to go over again, and again, and again....

Actually if anyone is interested heartland park just got a new owner in the last few months, and they are....GASP....open for a track day for motorcycles!!  It's August third...and some of us might even drag some pegs if we figure out what the round things are between dragstrips  

For some reason almost everyone around here can ride a wheelie out fairly well, and do stoppies also.....Come to think of it, I can see why now that we have such long flat roads. Another good plus though, we have some of the best paved roads i have ever seen, perfectly smooth for miles and miles...not that i would know  

Actually, I think that is Nebraska in the background....I think I can see corn...

If anyone actually wants to see what we do, here is our website..

http://www.topekasportriders.com/      or
http://www.topekasportbikeriders.com/home.html

Actually for such a boring place, we often get 30+ bikes and make trips to Kansas City +/- and hour ride. That makes it all worth it to go to the local hooters restaraunt and see the girlies.

Also, we do have some hills....some small ones, as here is another picture about 15 miles down the road

·
Registered
548 Posts
Chain : Y'know, this brings up a thought. (Scary, I know.)

Being a Midwestern sportbiker, I too suffer from a lack of abundant twisties (although a few PMs as of late would indicate that some of the roads I have available in western Iowa are indeed pretty nice). My point, however, is that my recent trip to the Smokies (Deal's Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, etc.) had a profound effect on me, nearly overwhelming in fact. I cannot fathom living in or near Knoxville or Asheville, TN for instance. Or heck, for that matter, in any number of the sportbike-Eden areas of California or other states that don't so readily come to mind.

Do you guys/gals who live in or near these meccas of serpentine blacktop ever get used to it!? I guess that's like asking if a guy would ever get used to sleeping with Salma Hayak or something, but still, I'm curious.
Do we get used to it? Yes. Can't imagine living without it. I don't think I could live anywhere that I couldn't ride year round and have some twisties close by for saturday morning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts