Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It has come to that time, nearly 90,000 miles (58,000 of those are mine) later and I need to get some new brake discs all round. I overhauled the whole braking system about 3 years ago, including new brake lines and overhauled the master cylinder with new innards, but I never did the brake discs as they still had life in them. In fact they are still in good nic, but they are getting too thin. I just went and measured them, the fronts are some wavy ones they previous owner must have put on and they are 4.6mm and no big ridges, the rear looks stock to me, and because of the outer ridge could not get the verniers in there properly, but they look to be around 4.4mm so asking advice on which ones you guys have found best overall. I'm happy to go with stock ones, but the bike has seen 26 years in this world and I reckon brake disc technology might well have got better in that time. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Most Honda discs have a service limit of 4.0 mm (specific reference here to 954, but I recall others are the same.) I don't think there's any urgency.(y)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
3.5mm min on a UK 929 and 1000 models, I just took a look. With 4.4mm left I would not worry about changing them unless the wavey ones have a lower service limit - no idea what brand or quality they are. to be honest Honda do not do a bad job when it comes to buying in the brakes, ok they are not Brembo standards but never the less they are good enough for most road and track day riders and I would buy OE Honda tbh, or direct from the original manufacturer and avoid the inevitable Honda/Dealer over inflated prices.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice one, thanks for the replies, it looks like I will be able to hold off on this one for the time being.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts