Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on the small island of Lanzarote in the Canary Islands just off the coast of Africa. Basically it gets very hot here.

I ride quickly and brake late. But I find that I'm getting brake fade with the standard braking set up ? And thats with going through the gears as well.

Is this standard with Fireblades or just the Repsol ??:idunno:

Even so any recommendations would be most appreciated:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
How old is the fluid and how recently did you replace the pads?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
How about replacing the brake lines with braided ones?

If the pads/disks are new, they may need wearing in...

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is the fluid and how recently did you replace the pads?
Bike is new this year but....just had the pads changed recently, sooo maybe they were on the way out and resistance to heat was minimilised you think?
That would make sense.

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about replacing the brake lines with braided ones?

If the pads/disks are new, they may need wearing in...
Hi Twincam, another good point bout bedding in but this was after i got used to bike and was up to speed (so too speak) around 7000K had pads changed now at 12000K.

Will Braided make that much of a difference to this bike???

I bought it with the thought of it not needing much aftermarket tinkering.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
braided lines make a big difference its one of the first things i do when I get a new bike. Also 5.1 synthetic brake fluid and you are golden.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Hi Twincam, another good point bout bedding in but this was after i got used to bike and was up to speed (so too speak) around 7000K had pads changed now at 12000K.

Will Braided make that much of a difference to this bike???

I bought it with the thought of it not needing much aftermarket tinkering.
I've heard they are a good modification and would help the braking system if any of the lines flexed under load... But I haven't done it myself so not 100% sure...

Hondas' don't usually need tinkering, well unless you want to.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
braided lines make a big difference its one of the first things i do when I get a new bike. Also 5.1 synthetic brake fluid and you are golden.
I've heard you have to change the brake fluid a lot more than if you used DOT4? Is that true?

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spina220 have you made any upgrades in pads or disks as well ???

And is it true what Twincam was saying about the brake fluid requiring changing more often ??

·
Registered
258 Posts
warm ambient temperature and a lot of hard braking during a ride or session are definately the biggest contributers to brake fade (assuming you change your brake fluid frequently, don't let moisture get in it and don't have any leaks in your lines, mc, or calipers).

as said before, braided lines (steel or kevlar) is probably one of the best upgrades you can do to your bike. The stock rubber lines on most bikes are crap in my opinion... I've had ss lines or change to ss lines on every motorcycle I have owned.

·
Registered
258 Posts
oh and 5.1 has a higher boiling point than 4 and 3, but it is more hygroscopic and thus you have to change out 5.1 more often.

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cbrsmurf, thanks for the reply, I think I shall have to check some out, it would be the popular census. Still was'nt expecting this bike to need them, but the other Repsol on the island has braided and he says they help a bit he thinks ??

Have you had to change disks or pads also ????:thumb:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cbrsmurf, thanks for the reply, I think I shall have to check some out, it would be the popular census. Still was'nt expecting this bike to need them, but the other Repsol on the island has braided and he says they help a bit he thinks ??

Have you had to change disks or pads also ????:thumb:
for about $100, they are definately a cheap upgrade w/ great benefits!

you could change the pads if you'd like... but the hh pads and the race, metal sintered stuff tends to eat up your rotors quicker. Rotors... are expensive. In terms of upgrades to my brakes, I would do this in order:

1. lines
2. pads
3. master cylinder
4. rotors
5. calipers

However, I would rather spend money on other stuff like suspension, before I get to the rotors and calipers, which honestly I would only do if I was racing. Actually, when I raced, I just used the stock rotors and calipers, my brembo master, vesrah srjl pads, and -2 ss lines are already (too) powerful enough.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
If you've recently put new pads in check if your front wheel is dragging by lifting it off the ground and spinning it. Then check it again after working the brakes hard to get them hot but be very careful not to touch the discs.
If the pistons were dirty when they were pushed back into the calipers the pads may not be returning properly causing drag.
Your fluid has probably boiled as well so replace that.

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cbrsmurf and Bladeracer thanks for the heads up you've been most helpfull.

Will check out pads Bladeracer later next week. hopefully toes wont be hurting like a ......well you know what i mean.

Cheers lads

Jazman

1 - 20 of 89 Posts