Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace the pads on the 54. Need some input as to what is working on your bike and how you like them. I mainly street ride but will have the same bike on the track several times this year and probably more next year.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Stick with the stock pads. For the price and type of riding you do they're probably the best.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Another vote for stock pads. They really do work better with the stock calipers than the aftermarkets. I have Galfer pads on now, only because they came free with the lines. I'm going back to stock soon. If you feel like splurging, I hear good things about the $160 HRC pads. :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
NinerPilot said:
EBC's will eat you rotors over time.... I have always put DP HH+ pads on my bikes as soon as I can after getting them. They stop fantastic, are easy on rotors, and have a great feel.
Chris

I agree with Niner. I've got the DP HH+ pads on my F3 and they've been great.

·
Registered
661 Posts
stockers are good unless you serious about track riding/braking skills. My experience w/ EBC were bad. I will not waste my $ on them. For all out stopping performance at the track the Vesrah superRJLs (150$) can not be beat!!!! Carbone lorraine c43(race) are pretty good also..cheaper (100$). The have some street pads that may be good. All of those are suppose to be rotor friendly...no probs for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:D get some Braking wavey disc's on the Blade with Braking pads on the front and stock pads on the rear, you will not regret it, stopping power is increased big time, they also look good to. :thumb:

wichet

·
Registered
768 Posts
The stockers are great even if you are serious about your track riding and braking skills. They don't fade much, even on a tight hard braking track, and you can pick up the rear wheel anytime you want, at any speed. Maybe you need something differerent if you are among the very fastest, but until then, they will do fine. If you're just doing track days, even in the advanced/expert group, I can hardly see where they would not be perfectly fine. But then, maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

02FBlade, did you see any real problems that were fixed by going to those other pads? Or is it more just a personal preferrence?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not really any problems other than much, much, much more stopping power & less level action required..less fading. The Vesrahs and CL's brake harder as they heat up...with the same level action. I had a set of galfer greens (racepads) at VIR N....they did not, you had to use more level to get more stopping power...which totally killed my wrists by the end of the day. I never rode the stockers on a track.

FYI: anytime you change pads (brands/types) I would get the rotors bead blasted or clean really well and scrub old pad material off. Once you get the new material on the rotors you'll have better brakes than by just poping on new pads. The best setup I've run are SS lines, Motu fluid w/ the vesrah superrjl pads...Brenbo may be better but those vesrah pads are almost too strong! Honestly!!!! At the ROC last year I was wearing out the middle of my tires..not the edge.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok, I'll have to try some later this year. Do those Vesrah superRJLs last pretty good? I've run though several sets of stockers at the track. They have good feel, but they do fade a bit. Not enough to give you troubles, but the lever comes back further at the end of a 20 minute run on a tight, hard braking track than it did at the start. They feel a bit squishier. You can still slow just as hard, and there is very little difference in lever force required, but they do fade a bit. You start to notice it after the pad is beyond the halfway point in terms of wear.

This is not enough to be upsetting or anything, just enough to notice. They are still consistant and reliable for the track. I've used them for most of my 37+ track days. I tried some other pads that I bought off ebay, but they turned out to be crap. They required a much harder lever pull. I went back to the stockers after that.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've run the CL c43s for almost a full season. Team vesrah runs these at the 8 hour suzuka race w/o problems.

The CLs and the Vesrahs have a really easy break in....one slow/easy session and they are ready to rock...unlike the EBC junk.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm on my second set of Gafler HH. No complaints. I've done many trackdays with them. Plenty of braking power and a reasonable price. There around $50 a set from Cal Sportbikes.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Red Rider said:
Stick with the stock pads. For the price and type of riding you do they're probably the best.
I bought OEM pads for front and rear thinking that with the way the 954 brakes I would need them before 5,000 miles. I have done 8,000 and am nowhere near needing pads yet. (at least I have full sets sitting on the shelf for when I do!)

$67.88 for a full front set, and $29.38 for the rear from Ron Ayers

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
8,300 mi and still pad depth is ok the pad is starting to chip off on the rear. I will replace both the front and the rear. Cheap insurance when it's needed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
MrFurious said:
I have put approximately 7 thousand+ miles on bikes with EBC pads. And have never experienced accelerated wear.
And when I say accelerated wear, I mean wear on the rotor. Not just how long the pad lasts.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
02FBlade said:
FYI: anytime you change pads (brands/types) I would get the rotors bead blasted or clean really well and scrub old pad material off. Once you get the new material on the rotors you'll have better brakes than by just poping on new pads. The best setup I've run are SS lines, Motu fluid w/ the vesrah superrjl pads...Brenbo may be better but those vesrah pads are almost too strong! Honestly!!!! At the ROC last year I was wearing out the middle of my tires..not the edge.
will a good cleaning with brake cleaner be good enough? I have a set of Galfer HH pads (bought with my lines from cal-sportbike) to put on and hopefully I can get to that tomorrow.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
CBR929RE said:
will a good cleaning with brake cleaner be good enough? I have a set of Galfer HH pads (bought with my lines from cal-sportbike) to put on and hopefully I can get to that tomorrow.
When I install a fresh set of pads I use a Scotch-brite pad on the rotors to clean them, followed by a good wipe down with acetone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts