Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever upgrade their brake system on their truck, i.e, new aftermarket rotors, calipers, lines, convert rear drums to disks, etc.? I'm looking to do this on my Tahoe, and need some advice/pointers.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but I want to make sure that the next time I catch a foot of air, I can stop the damn thing.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Rear disc conversion here and cross drilled rotors here or start with cross drilled rotors and have your drums drilled as well.

J

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Do not get cross drilled rotors. Cross drilling was originally done with old brake compounds becasue they'd get hot, emit gas which could lift the pad off the rotor. Modern brake pads don't do this.

Everyone starts with cross drilled rotors because they look cool, but all the open track cage guys end up with solid (or maybe slotted) ones when they get sick of rotors cracking at the hole.

Baer brakes has a ton of options from bigger rotor kits on up.

http://www.baer.com/

Stop Tech also makes some pretty pimp stuff.

http://www.stoptech.com/cgi/Products.cgi?index1=category1&search_on1=Big+Brake+Kits&match1=exact&index2=category2&search_on2=Chevrolet&match2=exact

Braided lines and good pads (not to mention replacing what is probably old nasty brake fluid currently in your system) make huge differences in feel, but probably won't change too much in outright stopping difference. For that you need bigger rotors and/or better calipers. A cage is like a bike, most of the "whoa" comes from the front...not to say the rear is pointless, just not as important.

Also, look into adding stuff out of the boneyard, especially since you live in TX (for some reason TX has lots of Junkyards with cheap stuff when I look around online). I have a 2002 2500 GMC truck and it has front and rear discs that are huge compared to the 1500 stuff. You could try to find out if you could swap it across.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
ConqSoft said:
So why do modern bikes have 'em? :hmm:
I've heard it's because....
When a heavy car, truck brakes... the rotors heat up tremendously and can shatter. Literally explode off the side of the car if they are cross drilled. On bikes, they don't heat up as much so they don't have that problem.

That is the rumour I have heard.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
ConqSoft said:
So why do modern bikes have 'em? :hmm:
Mainly? Because they look cool.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
ND4SPD said:
www.wilwood.com might be a cheaper alternative, they build high quality stuff as well
I've been brake shopping for my Rustang and went to Willwood as they've always had good pricing. But man, now they are charging a fortune for the stuff! Do you have a good link to buy their product? Maybe I just went to the "wrong" sites...

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
luvtolean said:
I've been brake shopping for my Rustang and went to Willwood as they've always had good pricing. But man, now they are charging a fortune for the stuff! Do you have a good link to buy their product? Maybe I just went to the "wrong" sites...

Honestly, no, it's been years since I've even looked at anything like that. I got done with car modifying a few years ago, I had enough....

Try the Mustang forums, or a group buy or something. You can also check out www.svtperformance.com, maybe some of the sponsors on there can hook you up

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the links and info guys!!! Good stuff to go by. :thumb:

-Pete

1 - 16 of 16 Posts