Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, I have a problem with my 954rr., when I apply the front brakes, the bike produces a vibration when is running at 40-50 mph., as long the speed is reduced, the vibration becomes in a back and forth movement, really annoying. I´ve checked the brake rotors, they are "aligned", however, I think they have a thickness variation, but that´s only a theory so far.

Does anybody know anything about a problem like this?

I appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds like a rotor is out-of-round or warped. If you've checked (jack the front wheel off the ground, place a screw driver across one fork leg so the tip is just touching the rotor, then spin the front wheel - if the rotor is true the tip of the screw driver will stay in contact for the whole rotation.

I've had rotors with thickness variation as you describe - it comes through the handle bars as a fairly harsh vibration - I skimmed 1mm off the rotors and they still weren't right so biffed them and fitted new EBC Pro-lites which are awesome.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Friends I appreciate it for your help. I was tempted to do the skimming operation, but I prefer to order a new rotors. It's good to know that to change the rotors will fix the problem. The bearings are Ok so, it has to be the rotors. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Friends, just to let you know, I´ve change my brake rotors. I bought a kit, and the problem was fixed. However, now I can hear a sound like a "click", at the beginning when I apply the front brake, the sounds appears, is a click in every round of the tire. But now, the sounds appears with no brakes applied as well. Attached some pics of my new rotors.
If you have any experience with this kind of sound or noise, I will appreciate your comments.

regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
are there any spots on the rotor that don't look the same as if the pads aren't touching?

I got a set of Chinese rotors for my bike's old front end a long time ago to pass the safety inspection and one rotor had a spot .010" thinner than the rest of the rotor. It was pretty obvious as the pads didn't make contact with it.

Another thing is, I've taken the spring clip out of the callipers due to dragging issues and it make the pads really rattly at low speed until you touch the brake lever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Bluevitz_RS, thanks for the comments.

The brake pads are now making full contact with the rotor surface, but, the noise still remains.

I´ll take my jet tomorrow to check this sound.I hope the mechanic be capable to fix this issue.

I´ll let you know.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts