Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested what the thoughts are on the proper way to break in a bike. A friend of mine and long time bike owner feels that you should go out and ride it normal, that it helps to "seat everthing in". I have had a few new bikes and didn't really baby them too much, haven't blown yet. So what do you think?, just go out and rag on it?

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's one theory. The other theory is to follow the manufacturer's recommendation. I haven't seen any evidence yet that proves which way is better for your engine. The main thing is: change your oil early and often.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Flog it....

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The phrase "break in"just doesnt sit right with me altogether.

There a two or three ways I've heard.... but just follow the mfg suggestions... and vary the rpms...

oh and take a whole day or two for a long trip (or two) and get it over with right away. Nothing worse than having to ride around like a fairy for the first month you own the bike because you dont ride it anywhere.

-jh
proud supporter of breaking in my bike while the debate on "how" continues

·
Registered
210 Posts
i have posted this a few times
but for everyone who says to go by the manu recommendations do you even know what you are referring to
normally when people say this they are saying that you have to go by a strict rpm guideline but actually

on the new 1000RRs the owners manual only gives two guidelines for break in

do not do full throttle starts or rapid accelleration for the first 300 miles

thats it

its on page 212 of the 06 manual if anyone is interested in a reference

·
Registered
347 Posts
i agree with jhonda, and baxsom makes a good point. a few things i would add are the way i was taught was 500 miles is the mean break in mileage. ride it like you plan to with the exception of no full throttle romps, and keep the rpms lower, but most important like discussed is to keep the engine speed varied.

after 500 miles, change the oil. don't be alarmed by metallic dust, because there are alot of metal surfaces seating and adjusting to each other. large pieces would be bad. run a high quality dino oil of which opinions of which vary greatly. i would then gradually start riding her like you plan to. i like changing the oil again after 1k, so now you are at 1,500 miles.

change it again with dino oil (not Syntehetic), and put 3k on the bike. i don't run synthetic until the 4,500k change, because it's to slippery and will not allow the rings seat properly. thats it, simple.

·
Registered
210 Posts
heres a point on oil changes

#1 most of your break in is going to be on the way home from the dealer.

vary the rpms, get them high and then let it engine brake down a lot

if your dealer has a dyno have him run it a few times on that

dont worry about the smoke that is normal

when it quits smoking it means the rings are seated

but anyway

bring home a new filter and honda oil gn4

change it as soon as it is cool enough to touch

change it again at the recommended 600

then its pretty much up to you

i change mine every 4000 miles
with repsol 4T
oil analysis on the Honda CBR1000RR Tech
shows that with the 4t even after 5000 miles it is still retaining over half of its protection quality which is still more than enough.

take it to the dyno for a baseline hp and torque reading at around 1000 miles

if it doesnt smoke

then the rings are fully seated and you can switch to synth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts