Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never changed break oil but want to learn :)

I´ve seen som handpumps where you first pump out oil from cup, then refill with new oil and connect to one break caliper and pump out oil from hose until cup almost is empty and then other side.

Is it the easiest way?

Does anyone know what pump to buy?

I have only seen one connected to air pump but i saw a movie on youtube where he uses only a hand pump.

I know where to connect pump but what screw should be loosen to get flow on break caliper?

Have a Honda CBR954RR

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
I bought one of those Bleeders a while back , didn't like it so went back to doing it manually. (I get the missus to pump the lever and fill the Res) The Bikes lever @nigelrb

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Goodridge do these things call speed bleeders, basically a replacement nipple (ooh err) with a spring valve inside. Have these on my 929 and makes bleeding bleeding easy!!

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all answers.
I will start with back break since i almost not use it i try first.

Will this one work you think?
Good price in a shop near me.

Vaccuum pump with back valve.

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
For the same price you can get this, which is similar to the one in the first video.

Just my opinion. You will know best when you see up close and read their instructions.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the same price you can get this, which is similar to the one in the first video.

Just my opinion. You will know best when you see up close and read their instructions.
Yes but this one you need to connect a compressor also.

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put in a order for this one since i think it will be easier by myself.

Reactions: MrPickwick

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Wow! I checked that after seeing the video and the price rocked me. Sure, it's worth it, but a lot of money for something that won't be used too often, unless you're doing a lot of pad changeovers for the track, of course.

Then again, sometimes we are better off buying the right equipment first of all instead of trying to get by with compromises. Woops, I am seeing parallels with marriage again!:eek:;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Strange that everyone earlier said "Do not buy the pump thing"
You Do Not need a 2nd person to change brake fluid the old fashioned easy way, just careful set up. Used it racing for 10 years. Still do it on my own.
Might have fun getting clear tube that is totally Brake fluid proof! But should be disposable any way. Clean glass jars are everywhere! Coffee, Jam, Mayo etc etc.
Syringes can be got Free from Vets! After they have had sterilised water in them they throw them away, usually seperate to ones that have other stuff in them. loads of sizes up to big enough to do fork oil with!
Someone else can verify this as I do not have later Blades to hand!
The Caliper bleed nipple is Right next to the hose in line!!! On top of the Caliper!
After many years of regularly changing the fluid in my Blades brakes I realised I was wasting my time!!!
The Only way to really change the fluid is to Totally strip the brake system down! (Into ALL its parts. It Is Not Rocket Science. Or a black art.)
Otherwise the Calipers, THE IMPORTANT BIT, just get more and more full of contaminated mixed up Brake Fluid.
The new fluid just comes in the hose and out the Bleed nipple! Does not clean the caliper especially the second piston!!

If you change fluid when Pads are worn out, there is very little fluid in the Reservoir, so no need to Syringe/siphon the fluid out.
Remember to make sure new pads in before you refill, purge (flush out) and bleed system. Other wise you will overfill the system with New pads in!
Never get paper towels near brake system!
Make sure Caliper pistons are Properly cleaned Before they are "Pressed" back into the Caliper.
To do this properly you will need a set of those fancy caliper "pliers"/grips.
Which you will need to take calipers apart any way!

Incidentally there is NO clear plastics tubing that is totally Brake Fluid proof, Any Brake Fluid! Do not leave classics or classic racers standing with Fluid in clear plastics Reservoirs!!!
You will lose paint! And get corrosion.

With modern BMW systems they have a Bleed cycle in the Computer service stuff - cute.
Still do them the old way as well. Belt and braces!

Rubber Down Bubble Up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts