Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone,

I would like to ask if the Bridestone B12 tires are good for my bike (CBR 929 RR ’01)?

And if not what tires are the best?

·
Registered
61 Posts
BT012SS' are Great tires , excellent bang for the buck, decent life I got 1300 miles from a front and 833 miles and then 1000 miles repectively on the rear.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I heard the bt 010's are a great all around tire. my bike came with them and thats what i'm putting back on in a few weeks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bridestone B12 tires come in two flavours, regular and SS.  The regular are aimed for fast road with the occasional trackday and can handle wet roads slightly better than the BT012SS.  The SS version is aimed at trackdays, very fast road riding and are okay in the wet.  The BT012 has a mono-sprial belt, just like the BT010, whereas the BT012SS has a dual-spiral belt - what's a spira belt?  I dunno but you can find out if you speak to a Bridgestone techy, I think it's to do with the tyre carcass and how it's weaved together.

At least that is what a Bridgestone tech told me on the phone.  Somehow on the BT012SS the belts work together to make the tyre stiffer or stronger when in a corner getting the power on so that the tyre holds it shape and contact patch better.  It's only noticeable under extremes such as track riding or very fast road riding.

If you get 4,000 miles on BT012 then expect about 3,000 miles out of BT012SS, so the tech told me.

BT-012SS - Bridgestone website info

BT-012 - Bridgestone website info

MCN did a review of supersports tyres at  MCN Supersports Tyre Review 2001

MCN Product Reviews List

I've just changed from BT012 regular to BT012SS and before I changed I was messing about accelerating to about jogging speed and then jamming on the front brake.  The front would dive, bottom out the suspension (I think) and then the front tyre would skid about 9 inches.  I did this on my driveway which is made of concrete, it was in the dry and it's not dusty.

After changing from worn BT012 to new BT012SS with 50 miles on them I tried the same test again.  This time the front tyre stuck to the concrete and the back of the bike went about 3 inches into the air!  I tried it again and again, each time the front would NOT skid, it just kept making the back wheel lift.

Conclusion - new BT012ss are stickier than 4,000 mile old BT012 regular!

PS - I did two trackdays in the novice group on the BT012 and they were great.  I thought it was a good tyre and I was happy with it but the BT012SS seem to be just that little bit better, it's only fractional but it's just about noticeable.  Of course this could just be going from old tyres to new tyres.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I just tried a set of Pirelli Diablo Corsas and they rock! A close second is the Metzeler M1 Sportecs. Good track and street tires. Warm up quick, good in the wet.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
HondaGalToo : I just tried a set of Pirelli Diablo Corsas and they rock!  A close second is the Metzeler M1 Sportecs.  Good track and street tires.  Warm up quick, good in the wet.
Yep, very good in the wet! Found out this past weekend!

·
Registered
433 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Nothing but Dunlop here
Eh, I can't stand Dunslops... They are very predictable when they let go, but man they like to let go a lot. The non-GP versions just aren't sticky enough for me anymore.

My next set of street tires will either be the Sportec M1 or the BT012SS for the RC. I was breaking the BT010's loose at will while at Deals Gap this past weekend. They did well, but they just don't grip as much as I would like (I have gotten used to the Pilot Race 2's and Rennsports/SuperCorsas I run on the 929).

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Sorry, never tried the SuperCorsas, as I don't feel they're good for wet or street riding. My bike does double duty, so I'll probably never put on tires that I consider to be only good for the track, such as the SuperCorsas or Rennsports.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts