Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody

Last week I got my Fireblade from 1993 bought in Germany and transported to Denmark.

The bike has always been my childhood dream, but the timing for a project has never been there before now.
I am 38 years old, and have to boys at 3 and 7, and because of the age they are now, I can finally get the time to work on my childhood dream. No more diapers, no more they cant sleep in the evening and no more helping them on the loop - Freedom = Fireblade :)

I am thinking ill make this thread so I can keep track off my process, and show you guys how its going, and also ask for help.

This is the bike now:
[/IMG]

And this is how it shall end up:
[/IMG]

So my checklist so far is:
New decals
Paint all the fairings, and they are original and in good shape
Paint tank and front fender
New original blinkers
The muffler is the original where the black paint has been stripped, it need to be painted again
Clear windbreaker
All the parts that can be polished are going to be polished
Clutch cover ect. has to be painted, anyone now the name af that color? (looks like gunmetal og antrazit)
Bottom of the forks need to be painted
Wheels painted
New rear seat in purple

Service that need to be done:
New oil and filter
Drain and flush cooling system and new fluid
All cables need to be lubed
New oil and seals in forks
New tires
Carburators get an overhaul and calibrated
Valve clearence is being cheked
New bearings on the wheels and in the steering
Speedometer opened up and cleaned
New batteri (don't now what type yet)

So the list is long, but I have Haynes and the officiel repair manual for the bike, so I can't wait.
Winter is coming - in this case its a good thing.

If I miss something please let me know.

Have a good one.

Br.
Allan
Copenhagen / Denmark

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Hi Allan.

Thanks for this post. I will be following with interest. It is also a passion of mine to have/restore an early Blade. Your progression might inspire me to stop buying new ones:grin.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,655 Posts
:welcome:

We LOVE restorations and build threads! Welcome to the game, we will assist the entire way. Be sue to post pics, and trust me, there is no way to post too many pics :wink

Good luck, looking forward to helping out :smile

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, not yet. Tomorrow is the last day on trial plates, and the disassembly begins.
I got an e-mail from The Image Works, and they can make my decals. The only thing I need to figure out is if the decals have to be above the clear coat or under. The company gives me two different prices for under or over (over is more expensive). I want them as they are original, and that is above - right?

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Nah, not yet. Tomorrow is the last day on trial plates, and the disassembly begins.
I got an e-mail from The Image Works, and they can make my decals. The only thing I need to figure out is if the decals have to be above the clear coat or under. The company gives me two different prices for under or over (over is more expensive). I want them as they are original, and that is above - right?
Originally they are on top of the paint and not lacquered over

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
All good solutions :thumb:.

As discussed on another thread, I've welded bobbin lugs onto my swingarm to provide secure mounting for a standard V paddock stand for daily maintenance.

For more serious maintenance, that also enables swingarm removal:

I bought some solid pegs for a tenna from eBay and modified them to fit.

Then bought a pair of these, but could have gone Harris:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Peg-Stands-Stainless-steel/183981297959?hash=item2ad623d127:g:6i0AAOSwJ-ldStZR

I had to modify these stands to work = cut the main tubes down a bit. I think they were designed for race height rearsets and/or a paddock stand that lifted the bike much higher than mine. But, now, they work very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
All good solutions :thumb:.

As discussed on another thread, I've welded bobbin lugs onto my swingarm to provide secure mounting for a standard V paddock stand for daily maintenance.

For more serious maintenance, that also enables swingarm removal:

I bought some solid pegs for a tenna from eBay and modified them to fit.

Then bought a pair of these, but could have gone Harris:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Peg-Stands-Stainless-steel/183981297959?hash=item2ad623d127:g:6i0AAOSwJ-ldStZR

I had to modify these stands to work = cut the main tubes down a bit. I think they were designed for race height rearsets and/or a paddock stand that lifted the bike much higher than mine. But, now, they work very well.

Some time in the near future, I need to lift/support my front end to replace the headstock bearings ..... does anyone have any photos of how they have done that with a conventional rear paddock stand, please?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
... does anyone have any photos of how they have done that with a conventional rear paddock stand, please?
I have seen that many suspend the the front under frame from garage roofing rafters - if you have access. Otherwise, the ABBA with front lift works well as do the Warrior and 1Jac: Motorbike Jack Lifts | 1Jac

Could mean shelling out money if you only have conventional stands.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have seen that many suspend the the front under frame from garage roofing rafters - if you have access. Otherwise, the ABBA with front lift works well as do the Warrior and 1Jac: Motorbike Jack Lifts | 1Jac

Could mean shelling out money if you only have conventional stands.
Thank you, Nigel. Agreed. Agreed. With various rear stands, a headstock stand, an under fork stand and my new peg stands I almost need another (British) garage to store my bike lifting equipment in ...... or ..... hmmm ..... I need to better utilise the space under my stairs. :wink

1 - 20 of 257 Posts