Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

281 - 300 of 312 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Hi again

I am about to install the bearings in my swing arm. I don’t have any pro tools for that job. Any home garage tricks to install the bearings?

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I would take it to an engineering shop. Whilst they can be hammered in as a 'shrink fit', the best and safest way is to have them pressed in with a hydraulic press.

Years ago we would heat the component that receives the bearing and then fit the bearing that had been in the freezer for a couple of hours. You may well be able to do that at home, if you have a socket or cylinder of the same size as the bearing outer to knock it in with.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
I have put in just over 500 ml fork oil and it reads 11 cm - does that sounds right?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
They dont feel the same. One of them I can’t move the damper rod up and down with out massive force. The other is okay. What is correct?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Fork 1:
When I push the damper rod all the way down I can hold it with two fingers and then raise my arm and lift the whole fork and the damper rod will go up nice and steady.
Fork 2:
When I push the damper rod all the way down I can hold it with two fingers and then raise my arm and lift the whole fork and the damper rod will go up very slowly as in very slowly and in the end I have to use force to pull the rod all the way up.

when the forks are assembled I can’t feel much difference when I compress the forks with my body weight. And the rebound feels the same.
I have set them up the same way with seven clicks and three lines

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
And one more thing. When I compress the fork, it leaves a little ring of fork oil around the tube, that's not right, is it?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Job done for today.
Swingarm, frame, suspension and head bearings assembled - DONE.

Mounted on ABBA stand - DONE

Bear and dreaming of final result - In progress

Next stop, engine in frame.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Engine is in. No jack only tape measure and a pile of rocks and wood. Pretty proud of my self. Real estate agent / home mechanic :)

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
This looks right - yes?
The way the collar are mounted

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
New top bridge? Nope just glass blastet and brushed like the real one. After that painted an the top os clear coated.

281 - 300 of 312 Posts