Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

161 - 180 of 257 Posts

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,636 Posts
Okyo,

Use a brass drift (a length of brass like a punch), and tap on the cut out of the lock ring where the tool would engage it. It will likely loosen with minimal force. The brass should be softer than the lock ring to minimize damage (if any) to the lock ring.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Just used a drill with the flat end and punched it, but nothing happens. I think i need to buy a tool.
Just so stupid here does it right. Both the lock nut and the bolt is anticlockwise - right?
This bike better be worth it :)

·
7,636 Posts
Just used a drill with the flat end and punched it, but nothing happens. I think i need to buy a tool.
Just so stupid here does it right. Both the lock nut and the bolt is anticlockwise - right?
This bike better be worth it :)
Take the nut off and the long bolt out. Then all that is left is the lock ring and the giant thumb screw (the part that threads into the frame). The torque on the thumb screw is only 11nm, but the lock ring is 50-55nm. Its still only a small contact area, but the issue may be that there is corrosion acting like a thread lock. Hit it with some heat from a small torch and/or penetrating oil (don't blow yourself up). A few proper whacks with the hammer and drift should loosen it. At this point if you don't want to wait or pay for the tool, buy a new lock ring if you can and just beat it to death lol

They are all lefty loosy, righty tighty threads.

Can you put up a pic of the situation?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #165

I know its not to beautyfull - but its what I have to work with.
All other bolts are out only the adjusting bolt is left. Maybe there is to much stress on the bolt?

·
7,636 Posts
it could be stressed by the position of the motor "hanging on it", but I would still think that a little heat and then a good whack should break it loose.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Just order this one:

But now I am not sure if the locknut in the frame is the same as the one I am having trouble with!?

·
7,636 Posts
I think this is the one you want. The swing arm has a larger diameter lock nut.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I am hoping the enigne is out on wedensday. I have blocked all intakes on the bike. Can it just be pressure washed, or are there parts that can't handle water.
The drive sprocket has been demounted, so maybe I should cover that up?
Should I just use a degreeser and a brush to clean it all up?

·
7,636 Posts
What is your goal for the cleaning? I would say that a pressure washer is OK, on a low setting. BUT, I don't think that will get your desired outcome. When I painted my engines, I used a wire brush on a drill. It cleaned everything VERY well, but I knew I was going to paint it, so I was OK with the brush-marks and shininess. Some solvent (like brake cleaner) in some areas and a nylon brush should get you a clean engine.

If you are OCD like I am in regards to a clean engine, I would paint it too. It looks outstanding when done right. (y)

·
7,636 Posts
Not very often that the use of "outstanding" is that much of an understatement. 🙌🙌🙌

Where is the "Unworthy! Unworthy!" emoticon? 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️

I'm going to have a chat with my OCD and tell it to buck its slap-dash ideas up!
Thanks Duncan, Almost 6 years later (albeit only a thousand miles or so), it still looks great. It was a Titanium Silver Blue which, when originally applied, looked like a factory silver (like the 929 and 954) which was my goal. But when I got it out of the garage and into the polished frame, the blue really stood out and I almost cried. I got over it fairly quick and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I feel for your OCD, Ian.

Colours are really tricky. My new seat cowl was a gloss gel-coat black that actually looked "OK" on the bike, indoors. Outside, not so good. However, the moulds are now so old that the manufacturer had to buff out some defects, result being that it had to be painted .....

..... I got some quotes and went with a new chap who did a really good job. He told me what he had done (I am definitely not going to start painting fairings), and that - what I thought was a simple "black" is, according to the Honda data - quite a complicated black with a subtle hint of metallic flake in it (waaaaay less than the BlackBird metallic).

The seat cowl does look like it is OE, now that it is done properly. (y)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
I got the OCD bigtime as well. Every time I am getting deeper in to this bike, I have to fix it and clean it up, so OCD is good in this case.
I really like what you have done to the engine, but I am afraid that over time the paint will peal off, and it would look rubbish. I am also afraid that I will do such a bad paintjob that i have to clean the whole engine one more time and then paint again.

I am thinking about waterblasting, but all the heads on the bolts are getting its coating peeled off, and that will make a new problem.

So if I can get it clean by scrubbing and hard work, I think i will do that first.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Hi again

I only need to loosen one nut, and then the bike is completely disassembled.
The bolt/nut that keeps the swingarm attached to the frame, can't get off.
On the one side i took off the locking nut, so now there is a nut on the other side I can't get loose, i tried with a hammer and nothing happens.
Am I missing something?

Attachments

161 - 180 of 257 Posts