Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ever since I started usig firebird, I've rarely touched IE6 (only use it for windows update, and a few web sites that firebird craps out on).

It is a far superior browsing experience.

I don't like how Firefox needs an "installer" though. Firebird was cool like that, b/c it didn't. However, so far, firefox seems to be just as good, and even a bit faster?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I use FireBird on my linux boxes. Fast and slick but without all the extras of Mozilla. I don't use those extras anyway so it's a good choice for me. I also LOVE the tabbed browsing... do they have that in the Windows version?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yes they do. Tabs are really nice when at work, and using windows because it keeps all the little icons at the start bar down. I have to agree with Aisilat, when did an installer become a feature. I liked the idea of unzipping, and running. Don't like it, click delete, and it's done. What was so hard about that.

After seeing this IE Flaw, I won't touch the thing..

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=displaynews&NewsID=944

Fig

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Fig said:
Yes they do. Tabs are really nice when at work, and using windows because it keeps all the little icons at the start bar down. I have to agree with Aisilat, when did an installer become a feature. I liked the idea of unzipping, and running. Don't like it, click delete, and it's done. What was so hard about that.

After seeing this IE Flaw, I won't touch the thing..

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=displaynews&NewsID=944

Fig

After you have clicked the link:
If your Internet Explorer is vulnerable to this issue, a "File Download" dialog box will be displayed with the field "File name" being spoofed to be a .pdf file.

That happens with FireFox too. So, why does that keep you from using IE?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Conq: Oh yah? Man..... I haven't gotten around to trying that yet. :p

But on the whole, I think Firebird/fox is a very nice IE replacement. I think the shortcut keys, Tab browsing, plug-ins for adblocking, and true font-resizing is a big enough plus for me to switch. (I have an old laptop that only does 800x600, so being able to resize fonts allow me to read .org w/o too much lateral scrolling.)

·
Registered
803 Posts
ConqSoft said:

After you have clicked the link:
If your Internet Explorer is vulnerable to this issue, a "File Download" dialog box will be displayed with the field "File name" being spoofed to be a .pdf file.

That happens with FireFox too. So, why does that keep you from using IE?
Conq,
They key is when you click the "Open" button. Firebird will open their test with Adobe. IE although has been told it is a pdf, and to open with Adobe, opens the file as a web page...

If you choose "Open" in the "File Download" dialog box, the file will be executed as an HTML executable instead of being displayed with your favorit PDF viewer. This happens even though the filename seems to be "Secunia_Internet_Explorer.pdf" or "Secunia.pdf".

The reasoning here is that a hacker can put up a file for you to download that looks innocuous. Low and behold, you click on it, expecting Adobe to fire up, and you end up with a virus being run instead.

If that one doesn't scare you, you should try this one:

http://www.secunia.com/internet_explorer_address_bar_spoofing_test/

I am noting that I have updated my IE6 with the latest security code, and that last one seems to be fixed.. If you use IE, then you at least need to go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and make sure you have the latest security updates.
Fig

·
Registered
803 Posts
ConqSoft said:
1) I never Open files from a web page.

2) Yeah, I keep up to date at all times.
Same here. But when you have kids running around, it's like just shutting down your firewall.. Actually, my kids are pretty good about it now, because I have restricted them to one machine, with certain unwavering restrictions. No downloading of software, no installing of software, and no instant messaging. I am sure to some parents or kids, I sound like a nightmare dad, but I have a network to protect, and kids to protect.

It just scares the beejeesus out of me what some of these parents will allow their kids to do on the internet. I will assume mostly it's just ignorance of technology, but allowing teens on the net unfettered is not something I am willing to do. When they turn 18, and move out, they can get on the net and go haywire, just not on my watch.. Now if they want to learn networking, I have plenty of pc's and routers and can set up their own internal lan all they want.
Fig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts