Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too many cars can lay claim to having the straight line warp speed needed to beat a sports bike to 60 mph and beyond.

With a 0 - 60 mph (100kmh) of just 2.5 seconds the Bugatti Veyron is in a class of it's own. Over 1000hp W16 engine all wheel drive and with a TS of over 250mph (400 kmh) Even if cars are not your thing this is one stand out peice of engineering. With a price tag of over 1m the bike is always going to win the "bang for your buck" war. Still I would like to take one of these around the block and down the road just to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Pretty sure they released the Hellcat by now and it trumped the Veyron. Here is an article about it without proof of the 275mph top speed. I saw one out there a while ago where they said 300 was attainable and that at 275 it wasn't really working.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So does anyone want to take a guess at how far the bikes can stretch the limits as production machines? One wheel drive will always be a limiting factor in terms of how much power you can get down off the line, that is the thing about these cars, AWD means a launch like a gun shot. I just can't get my head around 0 - 60 in 2.5 and how that must feel - I read one quote from a motoring journo who said of the Bugatti "I put my foot down and my world changed forever" - these are guys that drive the most exotic supercars in the world... Hmmmm

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I Think this car is pretty awesome, I watched the Top gear episode where they raced it against a bi plane and another episode where they maxed it out to prove if it was actually capable of 400 KPH. Jeremy said that It has ten radiators, "three to cool the engine, three for the intercoolers, one for axle oil,one for engine oil. one to cool the hydraulic fluid to raise that rear spoiler". I'm worried about my brake pads, paying for trackdays, and tires. Let alone a vehicle of that nature. But I guess thats why you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If Al Melling is the mover and shaker behind the Hellcat then I wouldn't bother saving your pennies for a deposit. The bloke lives in a fantasy world. Yes he can design engines, sometimes they even work, but putting together a commercial package is way out of his league. Anyone remember the loudly trumpeted Norton Nemesis? MCN watched it being ridden. Once. For about 100 yards. Looked fantastic, awesome power, supposedly, but just a pipe dream. This'll be no different, but I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If Al Melling is the mover and shaker behind the Hellcat then I wouldn't bother saving your pennies for a deposit. The bloke lives in a fantasy world. Yes he can design engines, sometimes they even work, but putting together a commercial package is way out of his league. Anyone remember the loudly trumpeted Norton Nemesis? MCN watched it being ridden. Once. For about 100 yards. Looked fantastic, awesome power, supposedly, but just a pipe dream. This'll be no different, but I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.
Never heard of the Nemesis. Seems like the Hellcat is coming along. I know he has plenty of buyers already and he plans to win LeMans with it in 2009.
DreamCars.com - Future Dream Car

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Win Le Mans in two years? What a complete plonker. Typical Melling nonsense. Mark my words, that thing will never even be entered for Le Mans, let alone run, and as for winning, I'm laughing my socks off.

His game is to design a half plausible car/bike. Lure enthusiastic but naive victims, sorry, "investors" into the project, spend all the money on hot air and Al Melling, then declare that he's been hindered by beauracracy/lack of investment/legal disputes, and the whole thing falls apart. And then he moves on.

Do a Google search on Melling and Norton. Tons of interesting stuff.

From Wikipedia: (note the catalogue of successes, making him the household name that he is :rolleyes: )

Rochdale based MCD produced a TVR engine – a high-torque, 24 valve canted straight six – which was cheaper to produce and more refined for road cars. MCD's work ranges from outboard motors and motorcycle engines to a Formula 1 engine. The F1 engine, which features four vales and three tiny MCD designed spark plugs per cylinder, has recently been tested and will soon go into a test programme.
Designer Al Melling has tried promising F1 engine designs on several occasions. Working for Scott Russell Engines, a conventional 90-degree V8 was built and tested but never got into a Grand Prix car. Another design, purely on paper, was to have been a wide 165-degree angle V12 to be built with General Motors support but GM withdrew and the project died. Melling's Lola V10 design that was ultimately intended for the Lola GP debuted in 1997, with Ford EC V8 engines. This project sank together with the Lola GP team in the beginning of 1997.
The new Norton Motorcycles, Inc., utilizing the classic Norton name, has at its heart one of Al Melling’s engines designed to be innovative, powerful and reliable. The power output figures for both the Nemesis and its cruiser-like sibling, the Nirvana reflect Norton's focus on the power and efficiency in its engine designs. The sport-oriented Nemesis contains a 1500cc V8 engine with a claimed 235 horsepower and 111 pound-feet of torque. This horsepower figure significantly surpasses the horsepower-per-litre derived from Yamaha's R-1, for example.
The current MCD business model is 60 per cent pure engine design, 30 per cent diagnostic work for clients whose engines have problems, and 10 per cent working as expert witness for clients involved in legal wrangles. MCD has produced several engine inventions, such as a racing piston that can be produced by a new simpler process with a cost of just under £20 each instead of £150. A most intriguing invention is a new main bearing design, which is claimed will cut power losses dramatically.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quick check of numbers from Car and Driver shows a tested 0-60 time of 2.9 sec and 1/4 mile time of 10.8 sec. from more than one source. That means that even my F4i will still run a faster 1/4 mile time and any liter bike will smoke it. There will definitely be a point where the HP of the Veyron will overcome it's ridiculous weight and catch and pass the bike but for now I would still say the bike is the quicker vehicle for the launch.

The Veyron weighs 4800 pounds. It takes a lot to get that much mass moving.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
0-60 in 2.5 was what I had read about the Bug. I don't know a bike off the showroom floor could get enough power down to match that, it's pretty hard to match a 4 wheel hookup. How soon before the bikes have effective traction & launch control I wonder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts