Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forum to see if anyone else has had this problem but couldn't find anything. Took my bike out for it's first "real" ride of the year. I had broken it and while I was fixing it up I'd take it to a nearby parking lot and get it up to 2nd gear at most. For this reason I changed the oil, probably about 3+ months ago now, also I just cleaned and relubed the chain. The issue is when I got it above 60mph I started to smell a burning. I can't really identify what type of burning smell it was that could be correlated to the speed of the bike, but when I slowed it down the burning smell went away? I've run some wires under the frame which are touching the radiator. What does it sound like it could be? Is it chain lube burning? In need of an oil change? Help please...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Were you behind another vehicle? Does the smell come back if you go out again? You're more likely to smell something at low speed, not faster if it's from your bike.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Searched the forum to see if anyone else has had this problem but couldn't find anything. Took my bike out for it's first "real" ride of the year. I had broken it and while I was fixing it up I'd take it to a nearby parking lot and get it up to 2nd gear at most. For this reason I changed the oil, probably about 3+ months ago now, also I just cleaned and relubed the chain. The issue is when I got it above 60mph I started to smell a burning. I can't really identify what type of burning smell it was that could be correlated to the speed of the bike, but when I slowed it down the burning smell went away? I've run some wires under the frame which are touching the radiator. What does it sound like it could be? Is it chain lube burning? In need of an oil change? Help please...
Engine temperature not speed will increase the likelihood of something burning unless of course you bike has cooling issues and speed(wind) actually cools the system, which is not your problem at this time. The easiest answer and least costly is that you have fling from the chain going into the engine due to your recent clean and lube.

Did you check the wires that are under you rad to see if they are scarred from heat??

An oil change doesn't sound like a solution to your current problem unless you spilled some onto the engine but that was three months ago.....sorry for thinking out loud:rotfl:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, good thoughts from you both, thanks. I'll check this next time I go out. No scarring on the wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts