Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If memory serves me right oil was @ about $40US a barrell when George W Bush took over the top job. Now it's close to $130US. It does make you wonder.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
No Cheney is the one with ties to big oil. Bush is much more disconnected from oil. I'm sure he has friends here and there that are tied to it but he's not in nearly as deep as Cheney.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Seems a little suspect doesn't it??? He may not be directly associated with the oil industry, anymore, but has in the past. Maybe a few kickbacks are coming soon to him in Feb. '09???

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah who knows how the big game is actually played, we can only guess based on the limited information we are fed. You can imagine the guys at the top end of town have all bought and paid for their own tropical Islands somewhere.... Just in case they need to relocate one day.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
If memory serves me right oil was @ about $40US a barrell when George W Bush took over the top job. Now it's close to $130US. It does make you wonder.
Seems a little suspect doesn't it??? He may not be directly associated with the oil industry, anymore, but has in the past. Maybe a few kickbacks are coming soon to him in Feb. '09???
Yeah who knows how the big game is actually played, we can only guess based on the limited information we are fed. You can imagine the guys at the top end of town have all bought and paid for their own tropical Islands somewhere.... Just in case they need to relocate one day.
All is priced on the open market. It is not like we (just the US) are paying more, it is almost every single person in the world. The real people who are making money off of this, the oil producers; like OPEC.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree - OPEC seem very much like a bunch of crooks running extortion. Only recently Bush requested an increase in daily production which more or less got laughed at.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
So the war in Iraq has not bumped up the price a little maybe? Turmoil in the Middle East will always bump the prices up.

And the White House has already planned on Vetoing the bill to try and go after OPEC for bumping prices up.
U.S. House passes bill to sue OPEC over oil prices | Reuters
And the US has no jurisdiction outside of the US. The best they could do is sue them, get a judgement and if any of the members of OPEC stepped one foot in the US, they could be arrested. That bill is nothing more than a dog and pony show put on by the democraps.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
And the US has no jurisdiction outside of the US. The best they could do is sue them, get a judgement and if any of the members of OPEC stepped one foot in the US, they could be arrested. That bill is nothing more than a dog and pony show put on by the democraps.
:plus1: Yep, Pelosi tried the same "methods" in California and it didn't do any good there either.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
We shake our fists and tell opec we are serious about increasing oil production, yet we wont explore drill or build refineries here in the US.

What kinda message is that sending about our seriousness?

We consider your countries ecosystem to be less important than yours.

What happens if the same brand of politically driven eco terrorism and hostage holding of resources that plague our country suddenly become de facto in the arab world?

Why are we using ethanol? If we are going to subsidize renewable fuels bio-diesel makes more sense, instead of mandating ethanol production kill the production of gasoline engines. Get waste vegetable oil recycling mandated just like lead recycling, 98% of car batteries which is the largest lead consumer in the US come from recycled lead. And nothing smells better than french fry exhaust. Plus biodiesal can be made from virgin veg oil stocks as well.

Mandate re-refining of waste motor oil, no need to keep refining crude for engine oil just recycle what we have.

These are steps we should have been taking 10 years ago, our dependance on foreign oil is apalling.

We used to have a great agricultural base in this country that has fallen to pieces, the entitlement mentallity that broke out amongst baby boomers and spread to GenX and that is corrupting and growing amongst generation Y is one of the largest issues we have.

No one wants to work hard and many don't know how to work hard.

Personally if I were going to get into farming I would have an eye towards corn oil production and building a bio-diesel refinery.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
We do drill here in the US. We do have refineries in the US; that is where virtually all of our fuel comes from. When one of the refineries is offline we buy elsewhere. Arizona will have a refinery that will create about 50% of their fuel needs. There is also an ethanol refinery east of the Mississippi that should be open in the next year or two. So you are way off base here.

Lastly, forget corn based fuel, it is waste. Try switchgrass, it can made into fuel easier and provide better fuel that E85 that we get from corn.

What we need is to get more solar power and to have incentive for companies to install covered parking for electric vehicles only. When at work, you plug it in and the sun charges it. More nuclear power is also the answer.

We also need to get hydrogen out there more. Get them in the hands of the people.

Some will still use LP or LNG for fuel, like city buses and such.

Then we need to plant plenty of switchgrass and get rid of the corn subsidy. We need to open relations with Cuba, assist them in the drilling in the ocean close to Cuba. We have too much to lose if there is a spill. We should also get a percentage of the oil at market rate. We should also buy sugarcane from them and turn that into a fuel or to use as a natural sweetener instead of corn.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Ahhhhh relations with cuba theres a novel idea. I just want cigars though.

We haven't built a new refinery in the US in over 20 years. Many refiners are running at over 100% capacity now.

Ethanol even from switchgrass is still less efficent than bio diesel, ethanol is a crap mandate and a knee jerk reaction to the problem.

Diesels are less polluting and last longer than gasoline engines as well as being more fuel efficient.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most of your (US) oil comes from Canada not the middle east. Crude oil from the tar sands in Alberta is a large portion of what is sent south to your refineries.

We are one of the largest oil exporters and I fill up at $1.30 to $1.40 a litre for premium which should be about $5- $5.30 per gallon, they say by summer regular will be at $1.40 -$1.50 so add about anothe .20 per litre and thats my price for fill up on the bike (18 litre tank). A big chunk of our price is tax that the government won't lower.

The whole industry is corrupt crooks who use any excuse to raise prices and both our governments are full of corrupt politicians who cash in on it.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
We are building refineries as well as expanding the capacity at the existing ones. Most of the cost of fuel is oil prices and taxes.
Arizona refinery permit took seven years, Senate told

“Arizona Clean Fuels first began working on a permit for a large refinery near Mobile in 1998.
But in 2003, as it was ending its work on the permit application, the state determined Mobile was part of the area around Phoenix out of compliance with standards for ozone, the smog-forming pollutant.
The company agreed to move to Yuma, and the final permit was issued in April 2005 - seven years after the company first began its work.”

Ethanol plant:
Kearney Hub - New ethanol plant still needs water plan

Here is one that is planned:
GRANHOLM - Granholm Says New Ethanol Plant to Put Michigan First in Race to Turn "Wood to Wheels"

One issue with using corn:
Cargill puts off plans for new ethanol plant

Want a list of what is going on:
Distilleries and Fuel-Ethanol Plants Worldwide - Links to distilleries and fuel-ethanol plants in the USA

The real reason why you don’t see many new gasoline refineries is because of the EPA, the costs and an uncertain future.

Ask the Germans what they think about Bio-fuel. The price of Gummi Bears has gone up because of it.
Biofuels Threatening German Gummy Bear Habitat : TreeHugger

A big chunk of our price is tax that the government won't lower.

The whole industry is corrupt crooks who use any excuse to raise prices and both our governments are full of corrupt politicians who cash in on it.
Prices are high in almost every corner of the globe.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
It doesn't matter that it's not being directly tanked in. Oil is a global futures speculation market which means the net effect of increased production by OPEC would decresed prices worldwide.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
What about the resource drain on water to convert vegetable manner to ethanol it's ridiculously high. No to mention the horrendeous fuel efficiency that flex fuel e85 capable vehicles get burning either E85 or get this that mandated E10 crap. Whereas diesel milege is 25% better than non ethyl gasoline.

Real world numbers around town my truck gets 16.34 mpg on straight gas I pay an extra nickel a gallon to fill up with non ethanol blend.

On E10 I get 14.1 mpg for a nickel a gallon less gimme a break.

OK E85 13.9 mpg 50 cents a gallon less I can deal with that mileage for the price, problem is I have to drive 26 miles out of my way to the nearest station that has E85.

So lets do the math 20 gallons of fuel saves me 1.00 per tank by using E10

But that 1.00 extra means I get to go an additional 2.24*20=44.8 miles per tank which would take me 44.8/14.1= 3.1 gallons of E10. At a cost of 3.79 a gallon it costs me an additional 11.8 dollars to drive 44 extra miles on a tank of fuel.

Ethanol is a **** substitute that is energy intensive to make and inefficient.

In the meantime I am tired of paying 3.00 for a loaf of bread and 4.00 a gallon for milk because of the shortsighted jackass move to use ethanol.

Also Ethanol and it's blends produce more atrmospheric pollutants that are a cause of poor air quality than non blended gasoline alone, Diesel and then Biodiesel produce the fewest air pollunts responsible for dirty air and ozone alerts which this year my city will probably exceed too many times because of the increased ethanol usage, net effect is the EPA then requires distributors to sell an even more expensive cleaner burning gasoline which is more expensive than the Summer blends which raised our gas pric es already this weekend.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Petroleum refiners wanted to build refineries 20 years ago and drill for oil on the coastal shelfs and anwar 20 years ago but the EPA blocked all of it and now we are paying the price for it.

And thats just one blog sight lots of europe is enjoying bio diesel, the ethanol is whats pissing them off the same as me.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
And BTW until we accept a less expensive form of electrical power generation i.e. nuclear power generation which the EPA and gen. pop. and tree huggers have all shunned Hydrogen production is out the window it is extremely cost prohibitive.

Ya know what I'm done this is the reason I stay out of the politics section. Sorry to get so pissy. We will have to agree to disagree because I do not feel like writing a masters dissertation on world economics petroleum markets and alternative renewable fuel sources.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts