Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
RacerCutie said:
My first time at BW, who's going?
I'd go if I was anywhere close...but I'll settle for pics. (maybe with alittle cleavage too, after you win ;) )

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
RacerCutie said:
:D

Any recommendations besides taking it easy on turn 2?
After my first weekend there I concluded:

Most people over break into turn 9, including myself.

Look WAY ahead in turn 8a to go fast.

Don't target fixate onto people crashing in front of you.

http://www.garyratherphoto.com/141/index.html

-Shrub

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
RacerCutie said:

Have fun over the wheelie "hills" :D Turn 3b is a common area for problems with traction. :rotfl: If you do the sweeper (instead of star mazda) realize it goes slightly off camber at the end and the radius decreases. Lost hill is pretty fun the first couple times for a newbie to the track (remember it's a right handed turn...heard someone went dirt tracking as they though it was a left handed turn their first time over :eek: ). Other than that have fun...and we want pics. :D

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
WetShrub said:
After my first weekend there I concluded:

Most people over break into turn 9, including myself.

Look WAY ahead in turn 8a to go fast.

Don't target fixate onto people crashing in front of you.

http://www.garyratherphoto.com/141/index.html

-Shrub
Is 9 the turn before lost hill? If so, that's a VERY common place for people to over brake. Really don't need to brake there as it's very fast....

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
look out for the evil tankslapper coming down the front straight I couldn't get rid of it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!
I just picked up a Scotts damper so I'll be installing it this week.
How's the condition of the asphalt?

·
Registered
925 Posts
RacerCutie said:

Goin to Laguna wdalance---you arent going fast enough to worry about T2, if you do just take it easy on the gas, smae thing on 3B, BTW

·
Registered
925 Posts
nedro said:
look out for the evil tankslapper coming down the front straight I couldn't get rid of it.
Me too---just got used to it---its kind of fun wadamper---the bike seems to slap less with da big azz 195 X 70 slicks on it---cant recommend them high enough(add two links to stock chain length) :eek:

·
Registered
215 Posts
RC, I guess you didn't make it out last weekend? I kept an eye out for ya. R U going to T-Hill Fri? As for Buttonwillow, the asphalt sucks. You'll probably find you can carry more speed into turn one. Turn two can be slick, I nearly high sided there last week. You may have to drag your rear brake over the lump between turn two and cotton corners if you're still excelerating at that point (tends to wheelie). Entry to cotton corners is bumpy. Don't excelerate too hard exiting there either, that's where Tigert lost it last week. Either drag your rear brake or short shift going over the lump between the grapevine and club corner (another wheelie section). Riverside, Lost Hill, and the Sweeper all tighten up, so don't fly through those turns until you're comfortable. There are no brake markers or land marks to reference so you'll have to look for something on the track surface. I've only been there twice so I'm not real comfortable yet so take this for what it's worth. I wish they would repave though. Good luck and enjoy!! :) See you at Sears in two weeks?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Boomer. Cowboy, if you're there next Monday, could I follow you around a lap or two?

I couldn't make it last week to BW.
I will be there for Sear's!!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
RRWANTR said:
Is 9 the turn before lost hill? If so, that's a VERY common place for people to over brake. Really don't need to brake there as it's very fast....
Just after lost hill. It's the long right hander before the esses.

You are right about the turn just before lost hill. I think that's 8a. On my SV I can go full gas through there.

-Shrub

·
Registered
215 Posts
RacerCutie said:
Thanks Boomer. Cowboy, if you're there next Monday, could I follow you around a lap or two?

I couldn't make it last week to BW.
I will be there for Sear's!!

Sorry RC, I won't be there. BTW my earlier comment was assuming they run configuration #13.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
WetShrub said:
Just after lost hill. It's the long right hander before the esses.

You are right about the turn just before lost hill. I think that's 8a. On my SV I can go full gas through there.

-Shrub
ahhh...everyone numbers the corners different at BW...Yes, I tend to over brake for the sweeper also. That's the one I mentioned tightens up at the end and turns a little off camber....look deep through the corner. :D Had a 600rr lowside there right in front of moi...made me want to cry.

·
Registered
925 Posts
RRWANTR said:
ahhh...everyone numbers the corners different at BW...Yes, I tend to over brake for the sweeper also. That's the one I mentioned tightens up at the end and turns a little off camber....look deep through the corner. :D Had a 600rr lowside there right in front of moi...made me want to cry.
Before Loast Hills: I really wouldnt use any brakes there, as you can overlaod the front end---if you get on the gas harder, it will help with that little left handed dogleg thingy

After Lost Hills(rt hander):---I am on the brakes harder that F$#@ck--prior to coming into that corner(rt hand sweeper), its actually a drill to see if I can brake way late/really hard, and I have been passed by very few super fast AFMs guys thru there, incl Raab, Foster, others---(but just prior/after is a completely different animal)---the exit is tricky---use the whole track thru the esses--its pretty common for me to spin-it-up finishing off that corner---all good fun :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Note: Fastest I have run at BW(on the 929) is 2:01's, so take what I say w/a/grain of salt :crying:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
929Boomer said:
Before Loast Hills: I really wouldnt use any brakes there, as you can overlaod the front end---if you get on the gas harder, it will help with that little left handed dogleg thingy

After Lost Hills(rt hander):---I am on the brakes harder that F$#@ck--prior to coming into that corner(rt hand sweeper), its actually a drill to see if I can brake way late/really hard, and I have been passed by very few super fast AFMs guys thru there, incl Raab, Foster, others---(but just prior/after is a completely different animal)---the exit is tricky---use the whole track thru the esses--its pretty common for me to spin-it-up finishing off that corner---all good fun :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Note: Fastest I have run at BW(on the 929) is 2:01's, so take what I say w/a/grain of salt :crying:

Hopefully that will help me with my 2:11 out there during the race.

However even during the race you could tell I was a newb. My lap times dropped by a second or 2 each lap. Maybe eventually they will flatten out as I get more time there.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
929Boomer said:
Agreed.
After Lost Hills(rt hander):---I am on the brakes harder that F$#@ck--prior to coming into that corner(rt hand sweeper),
Me too...problem is that I usually stay on the brakes too long...resulting in too slow of a corner speed. :crying: I'm slow though. Last time out there I believe I was in the 2:09s on the F3.

·
Registered
215 Posts
nedro said:
You need to adjust your suspension. Last year when I changed tires (went from Pirelli 17" 190/55 to Dunlop 16.5" 195/60) I lost a lot of stability. I would twitch and wobble all the way down T-Hills front straight, usually would have to back out of the throttle before it got out of control. I talked to Ken Hill (local fast guy) and showed him my bike. He told me to raise the rear a couple of mm, add some preload, and adjust the damping up front (can't remember what it was, might have been less compression). Next session out the bike was dead nutz stable. Ken is incredible!! :thumb: Now I'm running Pirelli 16.5" 190/55's and my turn in is a little heavy. Time to talk to Ken again. :eyebrows:

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Cowboy said:
You need to adjust your suspension. Last year when I changed tires (went from Pirelli 17" 190/55 to Dunlop 16.5" 195/60) I lost a lot of stability. I would twitch and wobble all the way down T-Hills front straight, usually would have to back out of the throttle before it got out of control. I talked to Ken Hill (local fast guy) and showed him my bike. He told me to raise the rear a couple of mm, add some preload, and adjust the damping up front (can't remember what it was, might have been less compression). Next session out the bike was dead nutz stable. Ken is incredible!! :thumb: Now I'm running Pirelli 16.5" 190/55's and my turn in is a little heavy. Time to talk to Ken again. :eyebrows:
By your avatar it appears that you don't have enough weight on the front.... :rotfl: :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts