Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question for you all, I am about to buy a 2002 Honda 954, It is silver and black and it has 4750 miles on it and iw as wondering if there are problems technically i should specifically look for, the bike is in MINT condition and I have checked and it had never been down. I am finalizing the deal and i am just wondering if there is anyuthing specific i should look for, thanks alot guys!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Going954 said:
I got a question for you all, I am about to buy a 2002 Honda 954, It is silver and black and it has 4750 miles on it and iw as wondering if there are problems technically i should specifically look for, the bike is in MINT condition and I have checked and it had never been down. I am finalizing the deal and i am just wondering if there is anyuthing specific i should look for, thanks alot guys!!
Make sure there are no liens against it. :rant:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Nope no technical issues. There were 2 safety bulletins:
1. For the steering stem & bearings but only certain model #'s were affected. Had to do with metal shavings in the grease. A punch is supposed to be in the serial # plate up front if the recall was done. - Service Bulletin Num : 010902 Date of Bulletin: SEP 01, 2002
NHTSA Item Number: 638131

2. Muffler band update - Service Bulletin Num : 10043 Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2003

No major issues at all.

You can see the info on file at the NHSTA

Other than that, enjoy your new bike! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Going954 said:
there was a steering recall on these bikes. (I never did this recall as I like the way the bike turns and never bought the rationale for doing it.) Lots of people had the recall done and it stopped the steering lock from functioning. If the recall has been performed there will be a punch mark on the tree. Check to see if the steering locks with the key. Also see if there is a warranty available.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hmmm...the service bulletin for the bearings was done on my bike and I had no issued with the steering lock. And, I think that the problem was that things weren't positioned correctly by the shops thus causing the lock piece to not catch the hole like it should have. I was fiddling a bit on my bike and caught myself creating the same problem. A quick readjustment and....voila!

edit: typo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot guys i will make sure to check the sterring lock when i purchase it as I will be storing it in underground parking and will want as much security as possible. I will also be purchasing a disk brake lock for it. I'll be running a VIN check to make sure there was no insurance claims against it and i will also check for leins on the bike as well. Thanks again guys, i'll post some pictures when i purchase it!!! :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts