Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very close to buying a 49 state bike and am a little unclear (ok, a lot unclear!) about what that means and what the possible implications are. I think what it means is that I can't register the bike in CA until it has 7500 miles on it....is that right? And is there anything else I should be aware of? Does CA smog check for bikes? I don't think they do. This is obviously my first bike...thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi Marla,
CA doesn't smog motorcycles but you may have to pay a one time smog impact fee. I think I had to pay it for my Volkswagen that I bought with out of state plates even though it was smog exempt. It was a long time ago but I recall having to pay a similar one time fee when I moved from out of state with my bike.

You wouldn't happen to be married to a certain Symon Jester would you?
OK I just saw the other thread. Sorry!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CBRjack said:
Hi Marla,
CA doesn't smog motorcycles but you may have to pay a one time smog impact fee. I think I had to pay it for my Volkswagen that I bought with out of state plates even though it was smog exempt. It was a long time ago but I recall having to pay a similar one time fee when I moved from out of state with my bike.

You wouldn't happen to be married to a certain Symon Jester would you?
OK I just saw the other thread. Sorry!
Yes, sir - I am! He told me he rode with you a while back. :) Thanks for the info on CA smog.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When you take it to the DMV, they just check that it has 7500+ miles on it. I went with a friend and he was 6 miles over (he actually had to do some riding the first couple of days to make it) they said if it was less, they would have made him take it out of state. How they would enforce that, I don't know, but that is what they said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts