Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever converted a hydraulic clutch to cable? How difficult is it?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You'd have to create your own side cover as the mechanism for a cable clutch is a rod with a lever on each end. A hydrolic clutch is a piston mounted to the inside of the clutch cover.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
nedro said:
You'd have to create your own side cover as the mechanism for a cable clutch is a rod with a lever on each end. A hydrolic clutch is a piston mounted to the inside of the clutch cover.
If it's for the 51, Thorsten makes a conversion. Just for the record, cable clutches are a lot easier to launch than hydraulic systems.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
yeah, that thornsten dude has one.

I have seen one RC with it and I really didn't think it was better, I liked the pull of the stock hydraulic one...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Interesting (re: launching) does the hydro system lose too much feedback for proper clutch modulation?

I've not dragraced a bike so my launches have all been street so I'm not at all versed in the differences from a performance standpoint.

What about weight? Are most of the new 1k bikes all using cables for weight or for other reasons (cost / performance)?

- H (just trying to getz a little more edumacation)

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Holeshot said:
Interesting (re: launching) does the hydro system lose too much feedback for proper clutch modulation?

I've not dragraced a bike so my launches have all been street so I'm not at all versed in the differences from a performance standpoint.

What about weight? Are most of the new 1k bikes all using cables for weight or for other reasons (cost / performance)?

- H (just trying to getz a little more edumacation)
I have had good luck with both, but the hydraulic systems all engage at a finite point. The cable systems could be feathered a lot easier and you can feel the engagement point better with a cabled system.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the conversion kit on Thorsten's site, so that's probably what I'll get.

What Abtech said about feathering and engagement is what I am after, for what I think will be more controlled clutch action during track days.

Regarding the question about racebikes...no matter the displacement, I think most racers prefer a cable clutch.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Pete said:
"Every road race starts with a drag race."
That's very true. Especially in 7-8 lap sprint races, it helps to get a good start. One of my R6 buddys would routinely start from the middle rows and be in the top few by turn one.

Before this year, I'd never launched a bike from a dead stop before. Does take technique, and I need a lot of practice.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
tigerblade said:
That's very true. Especially in 7-8 lap sprint races, it helps to get a good start. One of my R6 buddys would routinely start from the middle rows and be in the top few by turn one.

Before this year, I'd never launched a bike from a dead stop before. Does take technique, and I need a lot of practice.
Who is Pete racing from a dead stop that matters so much?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
booth23 said:
No one, but it's my bike and my money, and I'll do with it what I damn-well please.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
booth23 said:
Well he did race endurance with a YSR this year. Maybe he's going to throw the RC51 to the wolves in 2004? :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm looking to do the same. I personally think the cable clutch is more "crash stable" than the hydro line. That is the primary reason I want to do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
well fyi i have the cable mod for the rc and will sell the kit with a brand new crg gp folding lever both for 500.00 us dollors i'll pay the shipping anywhere in the us

1 - 20 of 31 Posts