Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
The maintenance schedule in the service manual doesn't list any scheduled lubrication for the cables, but it does say to lubricate the throttle cable if operation isn't smooth. Nothing about the clutch cable tough...

·
Registered
454 Posts
samsblade said:
Are the standard 954 cables - brake, throttle etc telfon lined or do they need to be lubed

tx

sam
Hi Sam,

I lube the cables on my 929 as a matter of course while I'm doing other routine maintenance. I certainly notice an improvement in the action of the clutch and throttle after I've done it.

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thats right, they do go dry and need a thin lube.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yeah, those little clamp tools are great. I use a light weight lube, like WD40 for the cables and shoot it in until I see it bubbling out the other end of the cable housing.

The only trouble I've got on my 929 is how the heck to get at the throttle cable(s) easily ?...I haven't got my workshop manual yet (on order) and last time I looked couldn't easily get the cables away from the twist grip so I could clamp and squirt them.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Spanky said:
The only trouble I've got on my 929 is how the heck to get at the throttle cable(s) easily ?...I haven't got my workshop manual yet (on order) and last time I looked couldn't easily get the cables away from the twist grip so I could clamp and squirt them.

Any suggestions ?
Ive got a cable lubing clamp in my tool box , that i rarely use. Better than that is a piece of fuel line (3/8" for the throttle cables) and cut it about 1.5" long. Slide about half an inch over threads, and spray in WD-40 , CRC , RP7 etc (to create a resoivoir around the inner cable) ..... and move the inner cable in and out. The movement promotes a lot of contact to come together with the lube and the inner cable and it runs right thru the cable , and you can see it drip out at the throttle bodies a minute later. Much better ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts