Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(and anyone else knowledgeable about ski vacation in Canada)

It's me, my wife, and our 9 yr old son, planning a spring break ski vacation to Bannf. We are looking at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. Can anyone give me any general advice about this destination, or if we should be looking at something else.

Many thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live just outside of Calgary, which is where you'll fly into if you are going to the Banff area. The Chateau Lake Louise is one of the premier hotels in the Banff National Park. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer place to stay, but it would be FAR easier to find a less expensive one!! That is to say, I'd stay there if I could afford it! It's got transportation to the Banff townsite and to the Lake Louise Ski Area as well as the Sunshine Ski Area....... do both!! It is NOT in the Banff townsite and so it is quite secluded, but most everything you could want is available in the facility. It is, therefore, one of the best places for a romantic getaway.

There is a ton of new snow in the last few days, but it's COLD! With the "Chinook" weather phenomenon, you need to come prepared for everything from +32F to -20F.

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you want more info on facilities in the Banff area.

PS The Utah Rockies are our poor cousins!! :pointup:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Never skied Utah, have you.
Yes, I've skied all over North America - including the Banff area. It is nice up there and one should check it out at least once, but the snow and terrain just flat out don't compare to here. Sorry, but it's true.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, I've slid down a few of the American slopes. Next to Banff, I like the Wyoming area. Jackson Hole used to be THE place to crank up the vertical. Colorado and Utah are great for "southern skiing" and make a great warm-up for the deep and steep of the Canadian Rocks. Granted, you have to get to some by Bommer or Helo but I still gotta vote the local stuff. I don't have any frame of reference for the European experience, however. :crying:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BDA, keep in mind that we are just novice skiers, and have only been skiing once before, two years ago in Crested Butte. Also consider that Banff is a compromise...the wife wanted Switzerland for something a little more "exotic", and I wanted Colorado.

BrianG, thanks a ton for the info!!! I'd be very grateful for some resort options. I'll shoot you an e-mail in the morning.

-Pete

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Just messin' with ya, Petey.
But G, if you think Jackson has vertical you've certainly never seen Alta. There's a reason it is one of the most visited North American ski areas by Europeans. Sicker chutes than anything I've ever skied.
The skiing around Banff is good, but it's too much a 'resort' town. Like Vail, the Tahoe areas and the Park City resorts. Not much challenging stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts