Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need to run one java app for Windows XP. In the past, I've installed older versions of JRE from java.com. However, I find that some malicious website would take advantage of me and start running java scripts w/o my permission.

What is the minimal configuration (even if it's an older implementation) that one needs to run java? Obviously, I need more than javaw.exe. Is there a way to install the latest version and then rip out what I don't want? I already tried a custom install and no go.

I probably don't need anymore than the java applet runtime, however, I tried an older version of a java plug-in (before being forced to d/l the whole JRE) 1.1.3, and the application won't work.

Am I even asking the correct questions? I'm a java newbie as of July 22, 04 @ ~4:22 am.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The first thing we should clear up is that Java and JavaScript are not the same thing. A brief distinction is outlined in the below webpage.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=154585

Basically the JRE that you download at www.java.com is the minimal install of java. However you can limit the permissons it has within Internet Explorer once you have installed it (see the below link). However this could have deterimental effects on running applets in webpages. While you are at it you can also change the permissions that JavaScript and other active components have in your browser if you are so inclined.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315674

If you are concerned then you can disable java as status quo and then enable it when you come across a webpage with an applet in it which you want to install it.

In theory the Java Sandbox that it runs within when it runs an applet should prevent it from doing anything bad to your system without your premission, but as with all things IT there are no gauruntees.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
matt232. Thanks for your help. The application I am trying to use actually uses jrew.exe to launch. But because it is a very old build, it just crashes in XP. AFAIK, Jrew is Java Runtime Environment for Windows.

I thought I knew the difference between Javascript and Java. I'm telling you, when JRE is loaded (with a nice little icon in my systray), my browser was getting hijacked w/o my permission - which didn't occur when I didnt' have JRE on but still had javascript enabled.

I'm using mozilla firefox and they have an option to disable java. I think I'll try that.

I also want as little processes running in the background as possible, and only wish to turn on Java when I actually need it. Does JRE run in background all the time?

I also found that non-legit MS Virtual Machine link, but couldn't d/l from the link. Oh well.

I guess I'm kinda stuck for now w/ JRE 1.4.2 running.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
asiliat said:
matt232. Thanks for your help. The application I am trying to use actually uses jrew.exe to launch. But because it is a very old build, it just crashes in XP. AFAIK, Jrew is Java Runtime Environment for Windows.

I thought I knew the difference between Javascript and Java. I'm telling you, when JRE is loaded (with a nice little icon in my systray), my browser was getting hijacked w/o my permission - which didn't occur when I didnt' have JRE on but still had javascript enabled.

I'm using mozilla firefox and they have an option to disable java. I think I'll try that.

I also want as little processes running in the background as possible, and only wish to turn on Java when I actually need it. Does JRE run in background all the time?

I also found that non-legit MS Virtual Machine link, but couldn't d/l from the link. Oh well.

I guess I'm kinda stuck for now w/ JRE 1.4.2 running.
Sounds like you deserve more credit than I gave you, and "java newbie" may not be entirely true.

As you say the jrew.exe is an old java windows executable;

from http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/dnsdhcp.html

What changed compared to previous similar procedures is that the name of the JRE changed from JRE.EXE / JREW.EXE to JAVA.EXE / JAVAW.EXE.
So if you check out the sun java download archive see if there is anything in there with the older executables that runs under WinXP
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

AFAIK java is only resident in memory when it is being used by an applet or java application.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts