Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bike has a bit of a slapping sound mainly at idle...after reading several posts about cam chains, that makes sense to me. what do you guys think?
i rebuilt a couple Kawi 1100 engines several years ago for a dwarf car, but have never been inside a honda....what is involved in changing the cam chain and associated wear items in a 900RR engine? can it be done in the bike? what parts do i need? my engine makes noise when i roll into the throttle, possibly spark knock,particularly at lower revs. i have no idea what may have been done to the engine by past owners( timing, internals, etc...) but i do know that it's had track time. could my noise be du to too much timing for race gas? i run 93octane pump gas in it. sorry for the rambling post....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes the cam chain can be done in the bike. I have crowned myself a master 929 engine technician thanks to my wonderful machinist that built my engine. I have done a lot of "cleaning up" after him.

My 929 almost dropped a valve and it made a noise similar to what you are describing. My suggestion is if you are going through preventive maintnance of replacing the cam chain I would check your valve clearance (lash) before doing anything else just to eliminate the possibility of something serious such as my situation. If you would like to discuss further I can give you my personal phone number just e-mail me [email protected]. Thanks, and good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts