Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Blade. She has done 29000 K and had her major service at 24000 K.

When I first start (ie from cold ) she has just started to make a rattle which sounds like a loose cam chain. The noise only lasts for about 20-30 secs and then all is good. It has only just started with the noise.

Does anyone have experience with maybe what the noise means and what I should I do at this stage? Or should I say, what am I in store for?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Start by changing the oil and filter now, 5000km is alot of wear and tear on oil especially if you thrash it or use the clutch alot. Use a good quality oil like Motul 5100. Failing that you could be looking at a tensioner, I can't imagine the guide would wear out that fast though

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the Blade just after her major service.
But as I do when I buy a new bike I replace all the fluids, which I did at about 26000km. Will do it again at 30000km.
As to thrashing it, I am still have fun with all this power that I have not got to the thrashing level. (My last bike was a 1200 Bandit)
Do you mean relpacing the tensioner?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I purchased the Blade just after her major service.
But as I do when I buy a new bike I replace all the fluids, which I did at about 26000km. Will do it again at 30000km.
As to thrashing it, I am still have fun with all this power that I have not got to the thrashing level. (My last bike was a 1200 Bandit)
Do you mean relpacing the tensioner?
If you can, get in the ear of your local Honda parts guy or chat to a mechanic to find out if this is common.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boxer,

I think you may down the right track. The oil is due and we have had a rather hot summer and I was not fussed with the oil I used. It has only started so matbe she is telling me we need fresh oil. I have also discovered how important the oil level should be so.

Have not tried Motul, will give it a go.

Yes I have been to a mechanic and he suggested he can mod the adjuster. Has seen it before.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Forget modding the tensioner. If yours needs replacing, go to APE and get a manual tensioner. It'll be the last tensioner you will ever need to buy. They also look cool as hell with the anodized finish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Funnily enough I should probably do that in my 99. I swapped the tensioner in my 99, but it didn't seem to do much, I have a guide for it, but looks like I have to drop the engine at least an inch it fit that in. Was easy as pie in my old F3 600. Failing that, manual tensioner I guess?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yup, the APE is manual. Pretty much "set it and forget it"..no worries about it loosening on you.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mine started rattling a lot at 31,000 miles, got a good mechanic to check her over, chain was shot, tensioner gone and both cam sprockets neaded replacing. Sounds great now and improved my fuel consumption.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine started rattling a lot at 31,000 miles, got a good mechanic to check her over, chain was shot, tensioner gone and both cam sprockets neaded replacing. Sounds great now and improved my fuel consumption.
Yeah true, I guess you never really know the history of your engine (unless you bought it new). I bought mine with with about 31,000 on it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Changed the oil on the weekend and yes the noise has gone. Went for 200k run and yes the noise has not returned. Good.

But did not know about the manual tensioned, so I will be changing the cct. Had probs years ago with a 400 supersports cct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts