Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm trying to check my valve clearances. I got the cover off. My manual says to retract the cct without removing it (cause there is no need). I don't have the honda locking tool. It shows a way to make it out of steel but that seems like a big hassle. Should I just take the whole thing off? Will that be easier? Its automatic so I dont have to adjust it to put it back on , right?

By the way whats the importance of a new sealing washer that the manual states? I could understand if it was hlding back a lot of fluid under pressure. But , its not. Thanks

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If youre only checking clearances, you dont need to retract the cct.

If you were to adjust the valves, the cams would have to come out, so at that point you'd need to remove the cct.

The sealing washer serves to prevent some of the oil running with the cam chain from leaking out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not saying youre wrong. You probably know a lot more than me. But, i am using a haynes manual and the first step is to remove the valve cover and the second step is to retract the cct. Third step is to turn the crankshaft, etc. I was doing a search and did see something about this. It stated that you don't want tension on the chain when doing the readings (on the valve clearance) because it can affect the readings no matter how small a difference it makes.?? I'm just a dumb wannabe diy-er though. Thanks again.

If youre only checking clearances, you dont need to retract the cct.

If you were to adjust the valves, the cams would have to come out, so at that point you'd need to remove the cct.

The sealing washer serves to prevent some of the oil running with the cam chain from leaking out.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Turning the crank, without tension on the chain is asking for trouble. There usually isnt enough slack in the chain to skip a tooth even without the tensioner, but its definitely a possibility.

If you are worried about the tensioner causing false readings, you could rotate the crank, release tension, measure, tension back, rotate crank, repeat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts