Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in valve hell right now on my 2000 929 and could use a little Mechanic to English translation. I have the service manual and have constructed the tool as per the drawing. I am stumped at this point however.... "Turn the cam chain tensioner lifter shaft fully and secure it using the mechanics stopper tool". I've tried using the tool but when I insert it fully it seems to be locked into a position and will not turn. I guess I just am not understanding the mechanics of the cam chain tensioner and what I am supposed to be accomplishing with this step and what would be the best tool/technique to complete this job. Is there a spring in there that would be compressed? Any help would make the life easier on this visual guy.

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think you should use something like a small screwdriver to turn the tensioner lifter shaft into a retracted position, and then insert the locker tool to keep it from going out again while attaching it to the frame. I don't think you're supposed to use the locker toll to actually do the turning, only to keep it from moving after you remove the screwdriver. Not 100% sure on that though, I don't have a stopper tool.

·
Registered
552 Posts
the tool just holds it in the retracted position, use a small screwdriver to retract it. are you doing this with the tensioner in or out of the engine because i dont think it can be set to the retracted position with the tensioner in the engine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am doing this in the engine (just checking/adjusting the valves). The manual doesn't say anything about removing the tensioner so I have not been trying to. Do I need to remove this to adjust the valves and if I do need to remove it do I need to compress it before removal?
Thanks for your help folks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After much swearing getting my fat fingers in there, I got the custom tool to work. It appears there is an 'x' pattern at the bolt hole of the cam chain tensioner. By not inserting the tool all the way it was VERY easy to tighten the tensioner and then by pushing the tool all the way in it locks it in place.... nice design (once you figure out what the h**l it's supposed to do). Construction of the tool cost me a total of $1.68 plus 2 cutting wheels for my dremel and about 15min time. Hope this helps someone else in the future (that doesn't have a clue as well).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts