Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Anyone planning on camping out? Are there facilities available for use at all times?
I will. Or maybe the answer to your question will make me change my mind :hmm:

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Yep:

Q. What facilities are available at the track?/Can we stay at the track?

A. You are welcome to camp at the track. There are bathrooms/showers and an RV dump/fill station. There is a very nice hotel located less than 10 minutes from the track. Information can be found at http://www.candlestone.com. Rooms fill up fast during the summer (this hotel is on a golf course, and they sponsor tournaments), so advance reservations are recommended. Grand Rapids is only 20 minutes away, and has over 75 hotels and motels if you are looking for something a bit more cosmopolitan. The track has special rates for some of these hotels, so ask when you call about reservations and mention "Grattan Raceway".

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Anyone planning on camping out? Are there facilities available for use at all times?
I slept in my truck last time and it worked out quite well....weather was agreeable and it was very quiet out there. A bunch of people brought their tents.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm willing to camp or slum it at the hotel. ;-) jetbdude, this might work out if we hook up for the trip down there.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I and maxib ver 2.0 are planning to camp, but I'm gonna cover everything with hotel reservations just in case of hail.

The last time ver 2.0 and I did something like this, we had to turn around halfway on our ride to BIR so the tornado didn't get us sideways. What a PITA that ride was, but ver 2.0 riding pillion didn't care because the hotel we passed, and reversed directions to get back to in order to avoid the tornado, had this great connection to a local pizza place that delivered in Elk River. Yeah, it was good food, safe haven and we got a chance to dry out. The next morning we saddled up and made it to BIR in time for the 2001 AMA races.

I cannot recall the exact date that year, but I can tell you it was early in the season and we froze our (insert any appendage here) off coming back home! We had to stop every hour just to warm up. (Minnesnowta sucks)

We got back safely, and Mrs. maxib only gave us a little :shit: only because we looked so blue. (She's really cool about all this stuff. She'd still be riding her own bike if her hand arthritis didn't give her so much grief) Anyway...

I 'spose the point was we had the tent with us, but had to find a room due to the weather. This time, we will have the tent, the AV, but if all else fails, we'll have a room reserved somewhere in the area. (I hope)

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
NinerPilot said:
I camped last time and it wasnt bad at all. Temp was nice, and plenty of room...
Chris
There's also a whole other world to experience when camping at the track. We always bring our fireplace and have a 360 degree upper paddock campfire and several people just hang, work on their bikes and benchrace until the wee hours. We use to do the hotel thing (which was nice in it's own way, especially for the pool, room service and other amenities), but now that we have the motorhome, it's a lot of fun to hang out, drink beer and shoot the breeze over the campfire.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm thinking about bringing an air mattress and sleeping in the trailer. Will all the sites have electricity, or just those close to the garages?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
slowpoke said:
I'm thinking about bringing an air mattress and sleeping in the trailer. Will all the sites have electricity, or just those close to the garages?
Only the garages have power. I am still waiting for anyone that is looking to get a garage to let me know, as they will be scarce if we have any rain, and if not reserved, they are all "first come, first served".

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
abtech said:
Only the garages have power. I am still waiting for anyone that is looking to get a garage to let me know, as they will be scarce if we have any rain, and if not reserved, they are all "first come, first served".
How much? And by when?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
ND4SPD said:
How much? And by when?
Just send me an email with your requirements (and remember, sharing can cut the cost dramatically) to reserve a garage. They were 85.00 the last time I checked, but let me talk to the powers that be and get a firm price for all interested parties.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
abtech, please check your old emails...I'm pretty sure I had requested a garage. If not, please go ahead and reserve one for me. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
camping was definetly the way to go. there are showers and a toilet AND the night air. just got to watch out for those snorers (NH)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'd be up for that as long as we split it several ways.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts