Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when putting my camshaft holder back in after valve adjustment, I stripped a bolt, pulled out 1 or 2 threads, and I chased it with a 6mm tap. Would this hold up? I would not be able to use helicoil or timesert as if i drilled it would leave half a mm of metal next to the camshaft. Is my best option to run it or buy a used head?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I had precisely the same thing, fixed it with helicoil and no problem whatsoever. Did it with the camshaft and holder still in place to help centre the drill. IIRC the helicoil passes down the hole in the holder. Obviously be careful how deep you drill, and mask off the area to prevent swarf getting in places you don't want.. Put it this way, after you have done the operation (helicoil) the whole volume of the repair is solid metal, (once the bolt is in) and actually stronger than original.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just worried, because after drilling and tapping i will be left with .8< mm of actual metal between the helicoil and camshaft journal.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Then take everything apart and do the repair without the holder in place. If its only because you are worried ....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had precisely the same thing, fixed it with helicoil and no problem whatsoever. Did it with the camshaft and holder still in place to help centre the drill. IIRC the helicoil passes down the hole in the holder. Obviously be careful how deep you drill, and mask off the area to prevent swarf getting in places you don't want.. Put it this way, after you have done the operation (helicoil) the whole volume of the repair is solid metal, (once the bolt is in) and actually stronger than original.
I’ve come across this before Crap can fall down bolt hole as bolt is tightened it compress crap and strip threads so make sure hole is totally cleaned out in the past I’ve put a washer under camshaft bolt it stops bolts getting thread bound n striping thread also you must use torque wrench

·
Registered
5 Posts
The threads don't hold a lot of torque in this case anyway. The camshafts actually spins suspended in oil so there isn't a lot of force involved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts