Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my complete dash assembly as I have some gouging on my speedometer housing from a crappy aftermarket clutch lever smashing into it. Found a complete unit from a 1995 clean and dirt cheap.

I really like the 1995 style single row dash lights vs the dual row 1993-1995.

I also know the 1995 had a different speed sensor, but it is my understanding that the speedometer was meant to be removable for track use? So can they interchange between 93-94 and 95?

Another thing I know is the 1995 had the updated fox eye front fairing. Is the dash mounting position different on the 1995 because of this? I plan to retain my 1993-1994 dual headlamp fairing and associated supporting brackets and stays. Hoping this can be a bolt on affair.

Few questions.

1. Is the wiring/connectors the same? (If not, the signals?)
2. Is the mounting position the same?
3. Is there an easy way to get rid of the speedo cable that runs to my front wheel (to clean up the look) and run the 1995 speedo setup that goes into the transmission (I presume)?

Cheerio,

dualheadlamps

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,119 Posts
I'm looking to replace my complete dash assembly as I have some gouging on my speedometer housing from a crappy aftermarket clutch lever smashing into it. Found a complete unit from a 1995 clean and dirt cheap.

I really like the 1995 style single row dash lights vs the dual row 1993-1995.

I also know the 1995 had a different speed sensor, but it is my understanding that the speedometer was meant to be removable for track use? So can they interchange between 93-94 and 95?

Another thing I know is the 1995 had the updated fox eye front fairing. Is the dash mounting position different on the 1995 because of this? I plan to retain my 1993-1994 dual headlamp fairing and associated supporting brackets and stays. Hoping this can be a bolt on affair.

Few questions.

1. Is the wiring/connectors the same? (If not, the signals?)
2. Is the mounting position the same?
3. Is there an easy way to get rid of the speedo cable that runs to my front wheel (to clean up the look) and run the 1995 speedo setup that goes into the transmission (I presume)?

Cheerio,

dualheadlamps
The speedo as a single unit is not removable to be reused again. I removed it from my original 93, but it had to be CUT out. You might be able to just switch out the innards of the speedometers, but I have no experience there.

The wiring should be exactly the same, but you will need to add the 95-97 speed sensor. Yes, I've done it in my 93 cafe build thread, with an F4i dash. I made a sub harness from the dash to the speed sensor. I added the sensor and sprocket cover from a 95. If you use the entire 95 dash, all you would need is the sub harness and the sensor/sprocket cover.

It should use the same mounts.

Speedo.jpg

Speed sensor wires.jpg

Speed sensor 2.jpg

Sprocket cover.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speedo as a single unit is not removable to be reused again. I removed it from my original 93, but it had to be CUT out. You might be able to just switch out the innards of the speedometers, but I have no experience there.

The wiring should be exactly the same, but you will need to add the 95-97 speed sensor. Yes, I've done it in my 93 cafe build thread, with an F4i dash. I made a sub harness from the dash to the speed sensor. I added the sensor and sprocket cover from a 95. If you use the entire 95 dash, all you would need is the sub harness and the sensor/sprocket cover.

It should use the same mounts.

View attachment 94846

View attachment 94848

View attachment 94850

View attachment 94852
Got it. So I need the sprocket cover which accommodates the magnetic speed sensor, the speed sensor itself, and the 1995 dash. And then have to wire the speed sensor to the speedometer.

I'm guessing if I got my hands on a 1995 harness it would be a 100% bolt on affair with no custom wiring? Not sure if it's worth all that work, but might be able to get it cheap.

Tell me more about that Ohlins steering damper. Was it specifically made for SC28 application? Did you have to drill into your frame? Moar pictars?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,119 Posts
Got it. So I need the sprocket cover which accommodates the magnetic speed sensor, the speed sensor itself, and the 1995 dash. And then have to wire the speed sensor to the speedometer.

I'm guessing if I got my hands on a 1995 harness it would be a 100% bolt on affair with no custom wiring? Not sure if it's worth all that work, but might be able to get it cheap.

Tell me more about that Ohlins steering damper. Was it specifically made for SC28 application? Did you have to drill into your frame? Moar pictars?
The damper was given to me by a friend. There was one on the bike originally that was a black no name universal one, and it was originally installed because there was a thumb sized hole in the frame from an insurance claim. It was totaled and salvaged. There was a 3x3 plate welded onto the frame, then a stud that was tapped to accept the bolt. I ended up polishing it up. Looked great, but as in the picture, I had to move the bars outward (they were race clip ons) and removed the speedo because the CR125 clutch lever I was using hit the speedo. That's why I ended up removing it.

The damper was not ideal, I had to remove the left trim panel as well for it to fit.

93 frame weld.jpg

93 damper.jpg

frame.jpg

damper build.jpg

Fairing.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts