Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Essentially as title... can a bad/malfunctioning/broken regulator rectifier damage a stator?

The reason I ask is that I replaced the stator and battery a couple of months ago and this morning and a few thousand miles later the damn bike stops charging and dies on me. I have to go through all the diagnosis procedure again to find the cuprit but an initial dig about with a multimeter suggests that the coils in the stator have burned out. I know that the reg/rect can damage the battery but could it damage the stator?

Essentially I'm thinking about getting the stator replaced under the stator warrenty but don't really want to do this if the problem is elsewhere.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
as far as i know, the stator pumps out the 70-90 volts regardless. The regulator drops it down to the 14v to run the system.

it sounds like the problem i was having. the regulator was overheating, then shutting down which stopped the charging.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What bike have you got? My friend has an 05' 1000rr and he has gone through 2 stators and 2 rectifiers in a little over a year ($1200.00). He finally took it to a Honda dealer that fixed it for FREE because of a recall. So your dealer/stealership may be the avenue to go on this one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What bike have you got? My friend has an 05' 1000rr and he has gone through 2 stators and 2 rectifiers in a little over a year ($1200.00). He finally took it to a Honda dealer that fixed it for FREE because of a recall. So your dealer/stealership may be the avenue to go on this one.
2000 RRY - there's no recall on it.

I'll have to do some diagnosis on the problem to find out the cause but the main thing I wanted to know was that if the stator has burnt (and it may not have) can they turn round to me and say that the reg/rect could have failed taking the stator out with it - it seems to me as if it can't but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
To answer your question yes it can, there are three diodes(phases) within the rectifier that allow current to go in one direction through the device (ie. Stator > Rectifier > Battery). But will not allow currrent to flow in the opposite direction.

If one or more of these diodes fail or have failed, then your stator is essential running overtime (burning out) trying to charge your battery on a single phase (one of the diodes). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To answer your question yes it can, there are three diodes(phases) within the rectifier that allow current to go in one direction through the device (ie. Stator > Rectifier > Battery). But will not allow currrent to flow in the opposite direction.

If one or more of these diodes fail or have failed, then your stator is essential running overtime (burning out) trying to charge your battery on a single phase (one of the diodes). Hope this helps.
Ah right, that makes sense - thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts