Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy that "knows bikes" recently told me I should go back to stock exhaust because I'm "ruining my valves"... Is this true??? I have a micron shorty exhaust with no power commander. Been running the micron for over a year with no problem, bike has been GREAT.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
No, a shotry muffler will not ruin your valves, but it will contribute to poor fueling which can over time aid in the process of parts wearing, but so does startng your bike everytime you ride it. You say it runs good, so why worry, if anything, have it tuned and no more worries.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It could theoretically cause a lean condition (which could cause the added heat that burns out exhaust valves) if the engine is breathing that much better with the new can.
Im doubting length of can would be an issue so much as the change in baffles and internal diametres,if applicable - but of course i may have just made all that up.
As stated one post above, best to have a tune.

·
Banned
831 Posts
Lean running causes a few gradual wear issues that do come prematurely. It varies. I've seen holes burned through pistons many times, and have done many valve jobs. Some takes weeks, some take years. Ride it another year and see if you have valve wear or a hole in the piston, and if it's still good, go another year, and so forth until you do burn a valve. It just takes time when running lean. If you run it hard at sustained high speed, you can speed up the process if you like. If you want to see the difference, try a power commander, it might run even better than great. I hear this comment every day.
Never have I seen one customer say "Oh this sucks now, take that power commander off, I never needed it." They all go, "Wow, what a difference, it's so much more responsive." Support your local repair shop, one way, or the other. People screw hookers every day and wonder when they'll get HIV.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You won't run lean just from putting on a slip on, it takes intake mods (more air in w/o adding more fuel) to cause a lean condition. Look for a VERY fast temp increase, even on initial cold start-up. the temp reading will climb 2-3 degrees every second or faster, Your exhaust tip could be light grey/whitish in color, your plugs could also be this colour.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You won't run lean just from putting on a slip on, it takes intake mods (more air in w/o adding more fuel) to cause a lean condition. Look for a VERY fast temp increase, even on initial cold start-up. the temp reading will climb 2-3 degrees every second or faster, Your exhaust tip could be light grey/whitish in color, your plugs could also be this colour.

I dont have any of those conditions. Just a lumpy idle here and there. Jerky throttle and such. But thats another story.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
A guy that "knows bikes" recently told me I should go back to stock exhaust because I'm "ruining my valves"... Is this true??? I have a micron shorty exhaust with no power commander. Been running the micron for over a year with no problem, bike has been GREAT.

The guy is an idiot.
Ask him to explain exactly how you are ruining your valves...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts