Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a set of bridgestones i believe on my new 929, soon ill be changing them. i ride mostly all highway not many turns etc.. i need something that wont wear out in a few months like the power pilots etc. i put a set of shinko ravens on my last bike and the gripped well but were heavy and the bike was harder to turn with them. what would be a good st type tire that wont rob me of power and will still last decently long? i was think of the conti motions or conti road attacks. ill spend up to 300$ for a set.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If weight is a concern then go to your tyre guy and weigh the following tyres, and pick what's in budget:
Pilot road 3 (2 is cheaper and just as good, 1 is old tech but still plenty good enough for highways)
Pirelli angel (my personal favourite)
Bridgestone bt023 (fronts may wear strangely)

All the new breed of st tyres grip better than super sport tyres of yesteryear and all last many times as long.

However if weight is only a concern regarding steering input then you're fighting a compromise. St tyres have flatter profiles for more relaxed steering and stable cruising - this feature however also contributes to the tyres life since they have a bigger patch at upright angles so don't square off as badly. They do conversely have a bit less patch at race track angles but for most of us it makes no difference. Certainly not from day to day anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Angel st are my favourites too by far. Last extremely well
Grip is great. Never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i went with a set of conti motions.. i was looking at the conti rd attack but from what i read they are softer so id expect less life from them. i have the bt23 now and the front is wearing kinda funny. so ill give the conti a try, they were like 180$ shipped for both

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
If weight is a concern then go to your tyre guy and weigh the following tyres, and pick what's in budget:
Pilot road 3 (2 is cheaper and just as good, 1 is old tech but still plenty good enough for highways)
Pirelli angel (my personal favourite)
Bridgestone bt023 (fronts may wear strangely)

All the new breed of st tyres grip better than super sport tyres of yesteryear and all last many times as long.

However if weight is only a concern regarding steering input then you're fighting a compromise. St tyres have flatter profiles for more relaxed steering and stable cruising - this feature however also contributes to the tyres life since they have a bigger patch at upright angles so don't square off as badly. They do conversely have a bit less patch at race track angles but for most of us it makes no difference. Certainly not from day to day anyway.

Thanks for your effort but I think I will waste your time and go with what I was going to go with originally!!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::idunno:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
ive got a set of bridgestones i believe on my new 929, soon ill be changing them. i ride mostly all highway not many turns etc.. i need something that wont wear out in a few months like the power pilots etc. i put a set of shinko ravens on my last bike and the gripped well but were heavy and the bike was harder to turn with them. what would be a good st type tire that wont rob me of power and will still last decently long? i was think of the conti motions or conti road attacks. ill spend up to 300$ for a set.

Exactly how much heavier are the Shinkos?
Most tyres I've weighed run around 4000gms for 120/70-17 and 6000gms for 180/55-17 and 190/50-17.
I have Shinkos on my ZX6R currently but never thought to weigh them, they weren't noticeably heavier when I installed them though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i went with the shinko ravens which have a super deep tread. i suppose thats what makes them heavier..they rode ok but def a noticable difference between them and the power pilots i had on before them .this was on a gsxr 750. hopefully the conti motions will do ok for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts