Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days i was riding my 2000 CBR 600 F4 and i lost my headlights. I parked my bike and went into the park for a bbq. once i came out and started my bike back up, i lost my taillights, only my turning signals worked. I turned the bike off, took the seat off to look at my fuse box, immediately, i seen a spark. I don't know what caused the spark, but i lost everything after it sparked, my headlights, tail lights, turning signals and dashboard were gone, however, the bike still turned on, i rode the bike all the way home with no lights, parked it in my garage. The next morning i attempted to turn the bike on, it had no power what so ever. It would not turn on. I even tried jumping the battery. one of my fuses were blown, i replaced it, and still got nothing. Can anyone help? I went to the dealership, the quoted me at 2000 dollars without even seeing the bike.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
2 days i was riding my 2000 CBR 600 F4 and i lost my headlights. I parked my bike and went into the park for a bbq. once i came out and started my bike back up, i lost my taillights, only my turning signals worked. I turned the bike off, took the seat off to look at my fuse box, immediately, i seen a spark. I don't know what caused the spark, but i lost everything after it sparked, my headlights, tail lights, turning signals and dashboard were gone, however, the bike still turned on, i rode the bike all the way home with no lights, parked it in my garage. The next morning i attempted to turn the bike on, it had no power what so ever. It would not turn on. I even tried jumping the battery. one of my fuses were blown, i replaced it, and still got nothing. Can anyone help? I went to the dealership, the quoted me at 2000 dollars without even seeing the bike.
:eek: 2000 dollars!!.......

I'd get checking your wiring....

when you say turn on.....did you try pressing the starter even though you were getting no lights?
or did you just turn the key to on possition?

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
with what you discribe... it gotta be elec issue.....

you replaced all the fuses
:)hmm: I'm assuming the 600 has a seperate main fuse also), checked your earth strap/connections?

have you got an electrickery tester?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
You have a short somewhere, it is grounding out your system and blowing fuses. It's not going to be a ground wire as those are normally "shorted" out anyway. Best thing I can advise is start pulling plastics and the tank, run through your harness looking for chaffing or broken insulation... could also be less obvious in a couple ways- could be a wire got jammed into a sharp edge and it was enough to short it without any "visible" damage, or it could be a defective component with a short in it. First things first, go through the wiring harness for visible damage as this is most likely the case.
FYI, bring it to me, I'll do it for $1500 :evilaugh:

Edit: Even if it wasn't blowing fuses that could simply mean that the short isn't drawing enough amperage to blow the fuse, but the lights/gauges wouldn't be getting enough power to operate.

Edit #2: I'll cut you a deal, $500 lol, but you have a looooong drive to SW Alabama....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If i had 1500, i would bring it to you. lol. But i don't so i need someone to become my online mechanical advisor lol. What about the main fuse? is it in the same location as the fuse box under the seat? if it's not, then i didn't check my main fuse yet. I guess the fairings and gas tank are coming off today. I appreciate the help. Keep the comments coming, i can't take not riding.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
If i had 1500, i would bring it to you. lol. But i don't so i need someone to become my online mechanical advisor lol. What about the main fuse? is it in the same location as the fuse box under the seat? if it's not, then i didn't check my main fuse yet. I guess the fairings and gas tank are coming off today. I appreciate the help. Keep the comments coming, i can't take not riding.

Lol I dropped it to $500!

Serious note: DO NOT REPLACE THE FUSE!!!! I would check out the harness first. If you do in fact have a bad short and you constantly change the fuse out you're subjecting that same circuit to over-amperage too many times and could cause more severe damage than what is already there! (I was an aircraft electrician trust me) Go through the harness carefully, see if you find anything, then get back to me.

Edit: Not riding sucks, but make sure you take your time in this repair! It is better to spend a week off fixing it proper, than to have to take 2 days off 20 times to get it right.....

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
RR Demon. i'm about to head to my bike right now and check everything out. Im about to take it apart and get back to you immediately

Sounds like a good plan.

You buy me a plane ticket and I'll be there lol. Out of work right now, have a job, just nothing for us to do until the "storm" blows over... by the way, it died and missed us completely... dumbass's kept us out of work for it too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have you checked your battery??? Power or to be more precise the lack of power(voltage)* from the battery will have an effect on the entire electrical system. Also make sure that your stator is in good shape as well as the regulator/rectifier.

*Something weird happens when the voltage gets low, the amperage goes up and puts a higher demand on the charging system than what it is capable of producing and the battery won't take it if it's in bad shape.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Emailed you my number..give me a holler bro

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.