Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a game that I have been wanting to get for years, Simcity 2000: Network edition. It only works on win 9x, not xp. I have installed linux on my xp pc but can you install win 98 on a xp pc too?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You might be able to dual-boot it, I've never tried xp and 98, I've done 2000 and 98, NT and 95, 95 and 98,and they were all a PITA

·
Registered
91 Posts
From my experience, to run Win 9x and XP you have to install the Win 98 first. I don't have any exposure to it, but System Commander may be able to handle it.

My recommendation is to get a smaller HDD and some removeable trays. It is always easier to troubleshoot and rebuild if the systems stay autonomous.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i should just get a small, say 3 gigs and load 98 on there and the game and just boot that drive and not the other?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
stegen : so i should just get a small, say 3 gigs and load 98 on there and the game and just boot that drive and not the other?
Your XP is probably loaded onto an NTFS drive, Win9x has no idea what that is. It's never good to put 2 OS's on the same drive, they'll end up fighting each other eventually.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can run it on XP
Right click on icon
Select properties at the bottom of the list,
Select compatibility,
Check the compatibility box,
Then select the OS you want to use.

Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Keith_929 : From my experience, to run Win 9x and XP you have to install the Win 98 first.  I don't have any exposure to it, but System Commander may be able to handle it.

My recommendation is to get a smaller HDD and some removeable trays.  It is always easier to troubleshoot and rebuild if the systems stay autonomous.
This is the same setup as I use. Just make sure you install 98 first on partition C:\ . I have Win 98 and XP using FAT32 as security is not an issue on my home PC.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I would go with the duel boot. Your Harddrive is how big? It will need to be big enough to at least hold XP and 98...you might want to just reformat with 98 and be done with it....what do you need XP for? OR, get another hard drive, and drop it in there, load 98 on it, and then put it in when you wanna play...ghey, i know...but it would work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts