Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new Arai that will be white. However I ran into someone that used to work for the family who does custom painting now and was discussing the track plastic. If he did the RC rather than me I might have him do the helmet also. Is there any negative effectrs on helmet life/ safety from painting them?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Painted helmets will spontaneously combust exactly 3 years and 4 months after the painting.
Other than that, no.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
The solvents in an oil or acrylic-based paint will slowly break down the structure of the helmet's outer shell. You'll need a water-based paint, which could take several coats to adhere. Furthermore, the propellant in a spray can can seep between the pores of the plastic, and once the temperature increases enough it can actually expand enough to stress the shell to the point of cracking. Make sure you use compressed air. If you can get an adequate water-based paint, go with a lighter colour, as the darker hues can attract toxic mold, which will breed inside the foam cushioning and can become FATAL.

J/K I made all that shit up.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Ask CBRVFR...he's dabbled with a brush on his. :D

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
know many people who get them done. See no reason it would cause a problem.

Oh and that helmet is friggin sweet abtech.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Getsome said:
know many people who get them done. See no reason it would cause a problem.

Oh and that helmet is friggin sweet abtech.
It's been on the shelf for a few years now, but it still gets lots of comments.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
sheepofblue said:
I am getting a new Arai that will be white. However I ran into someone that used to work for the family who does custom painting now and was discussing the track plastic. If he did the RC rather than me I might have him do the helmet also. Is there any negative effectrs on helmet life/ safety from painting them?
Dropped my wife's helmet off today at the airbrush studio. Haven't heard of any adverse effects besides the one's quoted by Phobe. But, it's worth the toxic mold to look cool.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
sheepofblue said:
OK when I put in the title it comes up on page 3 :eek: I thought it would sort on something other than post date for an EXACT match
I had a little trouble finding it myself. ;) It helped to search only threads started by CBRVFR, but that wouldn't help if you didn't know he'd started one.

Edit: Cool thread though, eh?

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
dB said:
I had a little trouble finding it myself. ;) It helped to search only threads started by CBRVFR, but that wouldn't help if you didn't know he'd started one.
Stalker.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dB said:

Edit: Cool thread though, eh?
But I have no talent :O

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Just make sure you use neon blue!

Also, if you clearcoat, blow up a balloon inside the helmet before you thoroughly tape it up. The VOC's can degrade the EPS in the lining, so you want to mimimize exposure time and keep those chemicals from gathering inside the helmet.

Good luck, Sheep:thumb:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts