Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
ok guys, I am going to hijack this thread as much of the info already provided make sense to me and my problem. If I am violating the forum rules by not creating a new thread I apologize. My ex-step dad and an older guy I ride with have made some suggestions but I figure a forum like this will have some people with knowledge of this exact bike, etc and maybe I can get some more concrete info/suggestions.
Here's the story:
'05 CBR600F4i - bought used with 8500mi on it. Rode like new for 3k then I flipped it at 40mph, tore up the front fairing, bent the subframe but other than that it was fine. Bought it back as salvage, replaced subframe, replaced all front components that were damaged, bike runs great again.
Chain is worn out though so I get an RK Chain and Sprocket kit.
Get the old chain and sprockets off, new sprockets on, going to get the new chain on and the front drive sprocket won't spin freely since the bike is in 1st.
Clutch pulled in won't free up the drive sprocket, can't get her to find N without starting the bike. I am a dumba$$ and don't know much about bikes so I get on the bike and start it, without first taking the chain off the drive sprocket. My brother starts yelling to turn it off, it did not sieze but the chain wrapped itself around the sprocket and chain and was jammed into the track around the drive sprocket. Bike is in N now though.
Can't get the chain out- brother holds front brake and I pull the chain out from behind the bike.
Drive Sprocket is spinning freely and chain is unjammed. Continue with install. Get chain mounted, aligned, tightened up, all looks good.
Go to start it up and test ride it... FI turns on, you can hear it. Instrument cluster is fully lit up, no worries. But when I try to fire it up all it does is click, right around the drive sprocket. I try rocking the bike, make sure the kick stand is up, she's in N - no go. I keep trying to start it, probably for about 2 minutes, then the battery seems to be dead. Pulling in the front brake makes the headlight dim, instrument cluster is faint and flickers.
Try once more. No fuel injector sound, no click- nothing.

So assumingly the battery is dead right? But what would drain the battery so damn quick? The starter? Can anyone explain to me how the drive sprocket being reverse wound (to pull the jammed chain off of it) could impact the starter? it was in neutral... do I have to be worried about the clutch? Clutch should me irrelevant since it was in N right?
Could the clicking be the teeth on the starter?

Any and all help is sincerely appreciated.

- bummed novice rider with a beautiful but dead F4i

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.