Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a couple of valve shims that were just barely out of spec & reinstalled the cams. No issues.

Now, I find it impossible to get both gears on the cams with the chain around them! The frame wraps so closely around the gears, that I can't find the sequence to this puzzle and the Honda service manual gives no clues.

I wonder if the cam chain tensioner is stealing just enough slack to prevent assembly. I removed tensioner assembly and possibly, the internal assembly leaning against the chain is preventing enough of the chain to be available for the intake cam sprocket. Once I get the intake sprocket on, I cannot get the exhaust sprocket on with the chain!

Thanks for any and all rapid responses.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,881 Posts
Is it the bike in your avatar? Not too many of us here have taken cams out of a newer bike. I'm assuming you have a manual?

Does the procedure require removing the cam gears from the camshafts? I'm not very familiar with that, but have done shims a ton on my old 900RR. Mine recommends removing the questioner.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On my 54 there is not enough length in the chain to slide over the cam sprockets with the tensioner removed. I have to remove a sprocket, engage it in the chain, then slide the sprocket on. Make sure all the index marks line up when it is back under tension. It is easy to have it on out by a tooth. Especially as the frame covers where you are trying to look. I have a mirror on a stick for the intake cam.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts