Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can someone help me. I have just bought a Honda fireblade without a registration document. I did a hpi check on it using the vin and came back clear. The bike is on a 'Q' Plate and has a new vin tag riveted to the frame and has been re-stamped on the headstock by dvla.
I think it is a 96-97 model but how can I find out ?

IMG_3315.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Please can someone help me. I have just bought a Honda fireblade without a registration document. I did a hpi check on it using the vin and came back clear. The bike is on a 'Q' Plate and has a new vin tag riveted to the frame and has been re-stamped on the headstock by dvla.

View attachment 64670
Can you also post some photos of the bike, might help to see it :welcome:

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,118 Posts

View attachment 64670
That VIN plate with the JH2SC33 is incomplete and only identifies the Japan factory and the SC33 model designation as being at least a 96, but could go up to 99. The other VIN plate is just a bunch of jibberish that has no realevance to anything in the world of CBR900RR's.

As Gunk asked, take a pic of the front fairings and the engine on the clutch side and we can better help identify her. Also, the engine number above the clutch cover may help us as well.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
It appears to me that the frame (at some time) has been replaced. If I remember correctly, when ordering a replacement OEM frame, they come without a VIN, and only with the first designators... not a serial number. For the sake of being able to properly "register" the bike, a serial number has to be assigned, and therefore the two tags. Can be quite the tedious process, so I've heard.

As for identifying the year as per the aesthetics, I can't help you there. Ian will log on soon enough and have you squared-away in no time :thumb:

·
Banned
433 Posts
I looked at CBR 900rr Rationally Revolutionized. pics from 1991 through 1997 online [Google] and MCS spec pages, and the engine cover bolts don't appear until 1996, 919cc. Not a fan of 16" front wheels though and the tendency to wheelie. [I don't buy anything without a title.]

·
8,118 Posts
Thanks for the additional pics. Here's what I can tell:

The frame seems to be proper SC33 vintage, as well as the "lower" portion of the engine. The cylinder head unfortunately seems to be from an SC28 (93-95) or RRN - RRS. The thermostat housing on the SC28 is where the large coolant hose connects to the head in you pic. On the SC33, it connects to an updated housing located BEHIND the cylinder head as shown here:

The body work looks like 95-97 stuff, no big deal there, as well as the swing arm.

And I'll agree with UNslow1 in that the frame looks eons newer than anything else on the bike. Seems like a Frankenstein of sorts mate, sorry.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for the additional pics. Here's what I can tell:

The frame seems to be proper SC33 vintage, as well as the "lower" portion of the engine. The cylinder head unfortunately seems to be from an SC28 (93-95) or RRN - RRS. The thermostat housing on the SC28 is where the large coolant hose connects to the head in you pic. On the SC33, it connects to an updated housing located BEHIND the cylinder head as shown here:
Ian, i am not too sure about this. My 96 is setup same as his with the coolant hose running to the thermo in the head. I believe they made the thermo change for the 98-99.

That all being said, based off the the bodywork, thermostat position, motor, and VIN (which has PVA manufacture/import date of 95) you have a 96 RRT. If you pull your seat, you maybe lucky enough to still have the original paint code sticker on still which will also tell you the color code and model number.

·
8,118 Posts
Ian, i am not too sure about this. My 96 is setup same as his with the coolant hose running to the thermo in the head. I believe they made the thermo change for the 98-99.

That all being said, based off the the bodywork, thermostat position, motor, and VIN (which has PVA manufacture/import date of 95) you have a 96 RRT. If you pull your seat, you maybe lucky enough to still have the original paint code sticker on still which will also tell you the color code and model number.
Hey Paul, thanks for setting me straight. I had "ass"umed that all the SC33's had the changed thermostat. Guess I should check my manuals more often, as you are exactly right:thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hi I got this pic of the sticker under the seat, doesn't help much tho

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Paul, thanks for setting me straight. I had "ass"umed that all the SC33's had the changed thermostat. Guess I should check my manuals more often, as you are exactly right:thumb:
No issue Ian. Crazy how the 96-97 SC33 has more interchangeable parts and commonalities with the SC28 then 98-99 SC33. Wonder if Honda used the 96-97 as a transition to the 98-99 and use up the rest of the SC28 stockpile of parts.

Hi I got this pic of the sticker under the seat, doesn't help much tho
Yep RRV, like Ian said, 1997.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts