Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im in the process of complety rebuidling my 900rr... I got a NEW motor and I cant seem to budge the carbs from the head.. I got my OLD carbs off the OLD motor with some serious pushing.. BUT I cant seem to get these carbs off of the new motor I got...

Any ADVICE? I dont want to shred these carbs trying to remove them.. They are mint, and I need to use them!... uggggh!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Obviously double check all the clamps and make sure they are loose.:eyebrows: Then a trick I like to use is a hair dryer. Take the hair dryer and set it on high hot and use it to warm up the rubber carb mounts. Get them good and hot and they will become more pliable. Now that you have them good and hot rock the carbs front to back. Try to get either the back or front to move a little first then alternate between the two until they pop off. Sometimes it takes a lot of elbow grease to get them loose. This trick also works very well when installing the carbs.

If they still wont budge take a standard screw driver and gently slip it under the rubber mounts and pry the rubber up slightly while heating the mount with the hair dryer. Be very careful not to damage the rubber, carbs or head with the screwdriver. You just need to get the rubber to start to break away from the metal. Oh one more thing. Make sure you drain the carbs of any fuel and work in a well ventilated work space. Don't want you catching yourself on fire or burning your bike to the ground. You can also use a heat gun instead of a hair dryer but be very careful or you will have melted parts. Just remember the only thing holding on the carbs is the rubber mounts once the clamps are loose so don't be afraid to give them a good tug they will come loose. Good luck,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously double check all the clamps and make sure they are loose.:eyebrows: Then a trick I like to use is a hair dryer. Take the hair dryer and set it on high hot and use it to warm up the rubber carb mounts. Get them good and hot and they will become more pliable. Now that you have them good and hot rock the carbs front to back. Try to get either the back or front to move a little first then alternate between the two until they pop off. Sometimes it takes a lot of elbow grease to get them loose. This trick also works very well when installing the carbs.

If they still wont budge take a standard screw driver and gently slip it under the rubber mounts and pry the rubber up slightly while heating the mount with the hair dryer. Be very careful not to damage the rubber, carbs or head with the screwdriver. You just need to get the rubber to start to break away from the metal. Oh one more thing. Make sure you drain the carbs of any fuel and work in a well ventilated work space. Don't want you catching yourself on fire or burning your bike to the ground. You can also use a heat gun instead of a hair dryer but be very careful or you will have melted parts. Just remember the only thing holding on the carbs is the rubber mounts once the clamps are loose so don't be afraid to give them a good tug they will come loose. Good luck,
Thanks bro.. didnt think of that.. I had to give up last night before I broke something..! haha I will give it a whirl today...! I appreciate the help no doubt!!!!! Ill let ya know how it turns out!!...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went through hell myself last time I went to get them off. I tried heating them with no luck . I just kept heating and pushing and pulling and finally after 1 hour I got them. Maybe running the bike (if you can). I couldn't cause I had mine in my house over the winter and all apart. Not sure if it gets warm enough down there from running the motor. Never really checked . Maybe someone else can answer that.

So Im in the process of complety rebuidling my 900rr... I got a NEW motor and I cant seem to budge the carbs from the head.. I got my OLD carbs off the OLD motor with some serious pushing.. BUT I cant seem to get these carbs off of the new motor I got...

Any ADVICE? I dont want to shred these carbs trying to remove them.. They are mint, and I need to use them!... uggggh!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.