Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a new Shoei X-11 (Worn 3 times for a few hours) which I find the helmet liner applies quite a bit of pressure over the ears. Without earplugs I can go for a couple of hours with some discomfort, with earplugs I can only ride for about half hour before I'm in pain. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
What kind of earplugs are you using? The twisty cheap ones or ones fit to your ear? If you use the twisty cheapos, try having a set of "made to fit" plugs made, last I knew they were around $70, but they are made to your ears. :idunno:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I would have thought that all that Toronto smog would cause more discomfort than the noise would.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ReaperAZ said:
What kind of earplugs are you using? The twisty cheap ones or ones fit to your ear? If you use the twisty cheapos, try having a set of "made to fit" plugs made, last I knew they were around $70, but they are made to your ears. :idunno:
Using the Degil tampered plugs (Industrial plugs, cheap) any of the higher end plugs come in different sizes?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TGZ13 said:
Thats strange.. I have an X11 and wear cheapo Macs earplugs and have no problem.. then again my helmet has loosened up a bit on the inside, don't know if that makes that much of a difference
Did your helmet ever apply any pressure to your ears? Maybe I just have big goofy ears? :idunno:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Shove them further in to your ears :idunno:

:rotfl: just kidding, not sure whta to do...give me your helmet, it sounds too tight? :D

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Try soft foam or wax plugs you can get at the drug store.

The soft foam ones can be had with a 33dB cut, are cheap, and fit really nicely. I can sleep on the side of my head with them in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wore my X-11 for the first time last weekend and also noticed the pressure on the ears. It was mostly on the right for some reason. I was using soft foam earplugs (the pink ones from drug store rock) and it took me about one track session to get used to it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TGZ13 said:
With all these people saying there x11's are tighter I wonder if mine fits me right :huh:

Its a large with a large liner... but it does have some movement and a little space to move around in :idunno:
Measure your head (The thing on top of your neck, to avoid the wise cracks :D ) just above the brow and let me know the size in inches.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uncle Jesse said:
I wore my X-11 for the first time last weekend and also noticed the pressure on the ears. It was mostly on the right for some reason. I was using soft foam earplugs (the pink ones from drug store rock) and it took me about one track session to get used to it.
I noticed the same thing, mostley on the right side. Weird!

Went to the Shoei site and the liner is the same size in all helmet except the 2XL.

Just about to order 6 different pairs (Testers) of earplugs form the earplug store.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
speaking of ear plugs because of what you people have said in the past. especially some comment about wear ear plugs and don't worry about the noise the engine makes. So I was riding today and was getting a little annoyed at one new noise that just started last night so I stopped at a drug store and bought some ear plugs. I got some Super Leights (picked them over others mostly because they said great for Motorsports), but they filter out 33db. Took some getting used to but I think I like them. Virtually no wind noise, I can't hear the funny engine sounds just the good sound of the engine and exhaust. I don't have an X-11 but they fit just fine in my Suomy. Is the X-11 made "glasses friendly" because that can give a little more room around your ears for the plugs.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
luvtolean said:
Try soft foam or wax plugs you can get at the drug store.

The soft foam ones can be had with a 33dB cut, are cheap, and fit really nicely. I can sleep on the side of my head with them in.
Does your SO really snore that loud? :D

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
:rotfl:

I can't answer that...she's looking over my shoulder right now.

BTW, for those taking long plane rides, or staying in unknown hotels, earplugs can be the difference between zombie jet lag and human status when you arrive. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts