Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
fl-929 said:
I don't understand how the car is faster around the track though.
I think a lot of it boils down to the car holding the bike up in several spots on the track, and the bike pilot not wanting to risk getting killed while battling the car through some of the curves. The bike's laptime would have been quite a bit quicker had it been alone on the track. But a race is a race. :smilebig:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Pete said:
I think a lot of it boils down to the car holding the bike up in several spots on the track, and the bike pilot not wanting to risk getting killed while battling the car through some of the curves. The bike's laptime would have been quite a bit quicker had it been alone on the track. But a race is a race. :smilebig:
That's what I was thinking.
Does anyone have a link the Schwantz's shootout?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Didn't see much knee scraping either. I bet a different rider would have done better against the car.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Only one lap on cold tires....... but the car as cold tire as well though.... But I think that on a real twisty track some sports cars are having good chance of beating a bike. It takes so much more skills to drive the bike as well. Either way, it’s so much fun riding a bike, who cares witch cross that finish line first. Give me the choice and I would make a lap around that track on a Harley before that 911.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
From what I've heard of Clarkson, do not expect balanced journalism. In fact you can bet that the result was fixed before the start. Clarkson would never front aprogramme where a bike was seen to be quicker.

Having said that, I like Clarkson. A breath of non-PC fresh air in a smogged up world. He's just ordered himself on of the new Ford GT40 jobbies. :D

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I sold my last 750 to an SCCA and Trans AM pilot. He was actually pretty good, but commented that he thought racing bikes came down to about 75% physical vs 25% ability, while cars were just the opposite. He also took some pretty strange lines around the track . . .

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
You gents should have read the december 03 EVO magazine (I think it was december). They had a comparo with a stock GSXR1000, a Crescent modified GSXR1000 and lots of cars, 911, race cars, kit cars, etc...

The bike smoked ALL of them! It wasn't even close, even the race cars were ticks off the pace...

That R1 must have been on street tires because we all know Mckenzie (sp?) can ride!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I read it too... however, this discussion has been repeated many times and the results vary. On a tight course, a car will win 'cause it holds corner speeds better. If there are straights, the bike will make it up easily. It's that simple. No sense fretting... if we need a never ending discussion, lets talk about the purpose of life or finding WMD or some other unending topic.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Niall MacKenzie, 3-time British Superbike Champion, and also a former very
competitive Formula 1 (i.e. MotoGP) racer, and now a journalist with T.W.O.
magazine. I wonder how he got manouevered into that scam? Must have
been doing' a favour for a bud.
It doesn't matter what kind of production car you might put up against an
open class motorcycle, you will see the bike beat it every time, given
riders/drivers of comparable skill. It will out-accellerate the car, damn near
out-stop it, and can be expected to generate over 1.0 G of cornering forces
whereas the car may not approach that.

This film was bullshit. :toilet:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts